why do male guppies

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

druxboyz

Reaction score
my female guppy that gave birth about 29 days ago was having her gravid spot growing large and black again. a few days ago, i'd see the males follow her and kind of nip at her tummy, but then, they always follow her, so i thoughtit was nothing. Today, as i look at her, her stomach shrunk to half its size the other day. is it possible that the males are biting her into releasing babies? i guess i should have put her i nthe breeding net, but she wasnt nearly as big as she was a month ago when she had the babies.

btw, her spot is still black, but just not as big as it was a few days ago. -_-

I don't think thats he's actually biting her, more raming up aggainst her to inpregnant her. Look closesly the next time and you'll see he's actually trying to push his gonopodium(which is further up on the body, near his head) towards her "area" . Since most females try to avoid males, the males have to be pushy and move fast if they want to create any future babies. If nipping was happening, her "area" would be red, swollen, possibly blood streaked from being irritated so much. Don't worry, it's all apart of the mating ritual :)

You should see mine... they breed like rabbits. The males have a harem of 4-1 female-male ratio :)

I don't think they EVER stop.... doinking :) Day and night!

Most reactions

Back