Why Do Fish Nip Other Fish's Fin's

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tropicalpomegranate

Reaction score
Why do Tiger barbs and other fish who fin nip always nip other fish with big fancy fins? Also why don't they nip each other fins? Is there a reason for this? Sorry if this is a stupid question because i was just currious, got bored and had that question in mind, i tried searching it online couldn't find anything

Imagine the school yard bully who picks on the little fat kid that can't catch him.. your somewhere close :lol: IMO, it's a dominance thing, especially with Tiger barbs, "im bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter than you, so i'm gonna beat you up!" Guess they like to show the easy targets who's boss..

P.S. under certain circumstances (the common one being not enough of them), Tiger Barbs do nip each others fins, and can do quite considerable damage. Another example is the Red Tailed Black Shark.. have you ever seen a tank with more than one of these, and they all look unharmed? didn't think so!

to elaborate on what max said:

some fish feed on the fins of other fish (can't think of any names just now, but I know they are there)

others are highly territorial- red tail black sharks have been mentioned, and you of course know about bettas- so fin-nipping is a way of defending a territory

others live in groups where establishing a hierarchy is an essential part of group dynamics. With such fish fin-nipping can get more frantic/spiral out of control if there is anything wrong with the group (like not enough members) or surroundings (too small a tank)

many fish will use fin-nipping to attack a sick member of the group; this is a survival thing: let's get rid of this one before he draws the attention of predators to us

a fish that is under stress (poor water stats, illness, pregnancy in livebearers, not enough space etc) may act out of character and fin-nip even if from a normally non-nipping species

Many fish will do it in a small tank regardless of water quality or whatever else. I have heard of this happening with tiger barbs in particular. Maybe they're nipping to try to get some space. ;)

I've read that in some cases part of it is that they are "programed" to snatch at anything which could be food in the water - so that they don't miss out. Therefore they will occasionally mistake the fins of other fish for potential food - kind of a grab-first-look-later approach to food.

They dont have hands or feet so they cant punch or kick each other which only leaves biting for showing the other fish they dont like them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back