Why can't I keep my Chiclids alive?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Rob2000X

Reaction score
This is Rob. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
I was wondering if any one could help me. I have A 150 Gallon tank set up with all sorts of chiclids. The problem is I can't seem to keep them alive. This is my second go around at trying to keep chiclids. The first time I had 12 chiclids and after about two months of success 7 of them died in 2 days. I spoke with some fish people and they went over my whole set up. I found out that I was doing every thing right but one. When I did my water changes I was not treating the water with any chemicals. I know now it sounds stupid but I was not told about it till after words. I was told that I needed to treat the tap water to get rid of the clorine. So now I treat every water change with Stress Coat, And I change my water about every 2-3 weeks and I change about 1/4 to 1/3 of my water at a time. This is what I was told to do. But I was told that I was doing everything else right. I tested the water every week for PH...Ammonia...Nitrite...Kh...Gh...all of my levels were with in standards according to the fish people I spoke with. My Ammonia was very low close to none, my Ph was around 7.9 to 8.1 my nitrite was very low close to none, my kh was at around 85 and my gh was around 105. I know it has to be something I am doing because for the second time since I have had this tank the majority of my fish have died in one day, they are all dying at once. I also use CYCLE to help keep the tank healthy. My tank also gets very coudy with a green tint but then I add CYCLE and it clears up in about a week. The only Fish the has lived though this is my Gold Severum. Please If anyone has any advise please give it to me. You can even call me at 1-571-334-5207 ask for Rob. Thanks to all In advance.

What type of cichlids do you try to keep and what exactly are each one? What size are they? What do you feed them and how much/how often? Is this in an already established tank? If so, do you add them just a couple at a time or all at once? Even in an established tank, you can't add that many fish at once.

Do you take out the uneaten food after 30 minutes or so?

What's your filtration?

Sorry so many questions but it's important for all of us to know.

I would say that you need to do a water change at least once a week if they are Central American and South American cichlids. I do it twice a week in one of my tanks for just one cichlid that's only 6" and 3 Mbunas.
I think that maybe they are succumbing to the ammonia and nitrite in your water after time. You should have no trace of ammonia and nitrites at all.

CA's/SA's are very dirty fish when they eat and when they dispose of what they eat.

When I did my water changes I was not treating the water with any chemicals. I know now it sounds stupid but I was not told about it till after words.

Also, please don't feel stupid.

Noone knows everything and, unfortunately, most of us start out learning by trial and error. I know I did and if you look for a thread I started that says "Your Biggest Mistakes" you'll see what I mean. You are way ahead of the game than I was, so keep asking as many questions as you have. Between all of us here, we should have you on the right track in no time. :)

Most reactions

Back