Why are my fish not eating the baby snails ?

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

16gallontanker

Reaction score
I have 4 mollies 3 peppered cory catfish 2 albino cory catfish and 3 octo catfish in a 20 gallon tank and I was just wondering why they aren't eating the baby ramshorn snails ?

that's a good question... you would think an Oto or Pleco would eat the eggs at least... but in my one tank I had excess pond snails, none of the fish, including the plecos would eat the egg masses on the glass... you would think that would be a treat... but maybe they taste nasty...

I would guess on the fish, most don't know how to deal with the shells of the baby snails... but there are a lot of fish that do eat them... larger loaches, & Cichlids, & most puffers

The otos are herbivores. I don't think live snails are generally a part of a cory's diet. And also if you feed your fish a lot, they won't be as interested in scavenging the tank for food.

I have 4 mollies 3 peppered cory catfish 2 albino cory catfish and 3 octo catfish in a 20 gallon tank and I was just wondering why they aren't eating the baby ramshorn snails ?
The short answer is those fish don't eat snails.

Most reactions

Back