Who Gets Along Well In A Community 55 Gallon?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ab420

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am getting a 55 gallon set up very soon and would like to have an African Cichlid tank. I have been reading through the fish index, and it seems a lot of them are pretty aggressive. I would like it to be a community tank, but its not necessary if it means I'll have stressed fish or anything. I'm assuming the 1" of fish per gallon rule doesn't count with such large fish, so what would be a good peaceful, colorful stocking for a 55 gallon? Also, I'm not totally new to fishkeeping, but I am new to Cichlids, so easier varieties would be preferred. Thanks in advance!

I know Parrot Cichlids are a hybrid, but they have 4 of them at my LFS that are adorable, would they be ok in a 55 gallon? Would that be full stocked? Sorry, I couldn't find them in the fish index, so I'm not totally sure how big the Parrot's get, the LFS guy says no more than 8", but he wasn't sure about how much swimming space and territory they need.

hmmm.. well i say to go with 2 or 3 in ur 55 gallon see how they are and if there fine u could add another smaller type of central american cichlid into ur tank.

hmmm.. well i say to go with 2 or 3 in ur 55 gallon see how they are and if there fine u could add another smaller type of central american cichlid into ur tank.
Hmmm.... I may need a bigger tank... LOL! (oh no, its starting again...) :crazy:

These 4 Parrot Cichlids have been at the fish store together since they were babies, and they are now about 4" long!!!! :sad: The poor things have been there in a little tank with no decorations for their whole life, so I REALLY feel bad for them... I'd hate to take 3 and leave the one behind, but... If I just took 2 of them, the other 2 would still have eachother, and I would have a little more room left.

What would be a good addition to 2 Parrot Cichlids in a 55 gallon tank?

Also... (sorry, I know I'm all over the place, but I have limited room for tanks, and their are SOOO many beatiful fish!)
I was looking at pics of Discus', and they are beatiful, but do they get too big for a 55 gallon?

well i mean u could get away with 4 parrots if u wanted but nothing else... if u wanted to go with the 2 parrots then u could add...

Silver Dollars
Black Skirt Tetras (Black Widow)
Giant Danios
Congo Tetras
There are many other suitable dither fish, these are just a few that came to mind.

Other good tankmates may include, but are not limited to:
Cory Cats
Any variety of Pleco
Twig Catfish
Kribensis
Convicts (can be aggressive and there is possibility of cross breeding)
Sevrums
Large Angels

all those are good tank mates... goto Parrot Cichlid pagefor more info...

and no Discus do not get too big for a 55 gallon tank.. they are hard to take care off but the work pays off id say 3 or 4 of those would work in a 55 gallon tank... ive even seen ppl who have put parrot fish in with Discus...maybe thats the way 2 go although alots of people would say the parrot fish would be to fast and aggresive for the Discus you could give it a shot if worst comes to worst you would have to give the parrot fish back to the pet store... also if ur gunna go this route try to get the parrot fish smaller then the discus that way the parrot will grow up not picking on the discus and hopefully stay that way. get 1 parrot to 3 discus and that will pretty much be perfectly stocked...

You cant keep 4 parrots in a 55g... 2 is the max...

As for tankmates.. you might be able to keep a group of larger tetras in there too.. or maybe a smaller cichlid.

if they are regular bloodparrots but dyed then theres a high chance they will either attain a smal lsize or co-incidentaly be jellybeans :) so i would put them ina 55g yes. but if they get anything to the size of my bloodparrots 2 ina 55G would seem abit small...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back