Who else here is into sword forms and combat

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I've always messed with sticks and stuff, using them as swords and lightsabers... Then when I was a bit older I got those plastic toy lightsabers (which I still have and they are mostly destroyed over the years 😂).
But for a long while now I've been getting more and more into the combat styles and really trying to perfect my swings/movements...
I looked into the different jedi forms used in the movies (as that's what I have been basing my movements on).
Come to find out I've been using actual combat styles... Nice to know the names
I use most all if the forms, but the ones I mostly know how to use are (in order from least hard to hard):

Form I: Shii-Cho
Most basic fighting style mostly including side and top hits and is not physically demanding.

Form II: Makashi
More elegant movements and quick, precise strikes mostly used on only one opponent
Isn't too physically demanding but still requires some energy.

Form IV: Ataru
This is a hard combat style... Very demanding in energy and focus as you are using a lot of very fast strikes and twirls. You also toss your blade and switch hands a lot.
This is a form on the aggressive side and your defense is your offense.
The only thing I can't really do is do the front and back flips for the acrobatics that are used in this form.

From V: Shien/Djem So
Uses quick transitions and also uses reverse grip at times. This is also considered to be a physically demanding style.
Mostly used for deflection and sword to sword combat

Form VII: Juyo/Vaapad
The most aggressive and most physically demanding style which uses the fastest and most powerful of strikes you can deal as well as blade spins made to be unpredictable to the opponent, usually confusing them on where hits will come from. This form is made to overwhelm the enemy. When practicing I rarely use this method as it drains me quickly lol
According to movie lore, this form of combat was banned for jedi due to the aggression and emotion needed

I really want to get a more durable thing to use instead of my plastic sabers I got years ago lol

Are any of you all into melee fighting techniques? If so what do you use and what combat styles are you familiar with?

(I am not a violent person and I would never fight to kill or actually hurt anyone. Anytime I'd "fight" would just be dueling for fun)

Last edited:
Never anything like that but all little boys do like a certain type of contest that Mothers do not approve of . Tell me you’ve never been in one . 🫣
I don't want to guess at all...

And if it's what I think, no, absolutely not 😂

My fiancé does street fencing
So he just walks up to randoms and stabs em in the chest orrrr?

No, but that's pretty cool!!
Fencing and saber combat have similarities and there are saber forms that include fencing styles

I did a very little bit of Kendo in the 80s, wasn't really good, but it was interesting. It hurts enough that you do work on your skills enough to prevent getting hit.

My fiancé does street fencing
I tried that but cars kept driving through my work. Then the drivers would get mad at me, and we'd argue about where exactly I should put my fence. Usually, we ran to our aquariums and pulled out the swordtails and let me tell you, hitting each other with 3 inch long wet fish is a true martial art.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back