white things on mushrooms

ThatDarnDragon

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I noticed tiny white things on my mushrooms. They arent spots. they look like coiled.. somthing. looks like it can be stretched out to worm like. I cant say if its something living or not, and its stuck to the mushrooms when I tried to pull one off.

Once I find my wire to upload the pics, I'll post them.

Any idea what it is? if its safe or not? I didnt notice them this morning before work

Parasites abonding there dieing host. I noticed the same thing with my mushrooms when I had sheetrock dust get into my reef. Not a pretty sight. :sly:

What should I do with it? try to pick them off? will my mushrooms be alright?

Nope, just leave them be, you can do more damage to the mushroom by pulling them out. My mushrooms pulled through, but I was able to figure out what the problem was and correct it. Dont worry about the parasites, figure out what is killing the mushroom. Has anyone sprayed any windex or anything near the tank? I young couple came into the LFS today, they could not figure out why everything was dieing in the tank. Come to find out that mold was growing on the wall so they sprayed bleach on the mold. The bleach got into the tank. You may want to do a water change just to make sure.

everything I have in my tank is in my siggy.

I just noticed my shrimp had shedded sometime today, and the exoskeltion is stuck under the mushrooms. do you think that might be the cause? Should I move the exoskeliton out or its ok?

I just did a water change.

Shrimp will shed wile stressed. I think that a water change was a good thing. Something bad is going on with your water. Sounds like its contaminated to me.
The shrimp ex-o should not be bothering it. I really think I would get carbon going and any extra skimmers might help.

Does this "thing" appear to be like a coiled up worm? If so then it could be the intestines of the mushroom. they sometimes tothis when stressed but are fully capable of returning them back iside. DO NOT remove them or you could kill the mushroom :no:

intestines.. yum.

the 'intestines' are in, I dont see it anymore. I tested the water this morning and everything's fine. (I test every other day, and it's good each time) its hard to tell if its ok because they are in now. I'll have to wait till they open up later on

ok, I left them alone, lets hope they pull through

Navarre, I am talking about the white worm like things that dont come from the mouth, but instead come through the body of the mushroom. Thats not the intestines is it? Oh, testing the water is fine, but I dont belive it can show foreign contamination if this could be the cause of what is going on here.

Ah ok perhaps i missunderstood. :whistle:

I thought this was coming fromthe mouth of the mushroom. If so then i would go with my previous theory, however if its comingout of the body of the mushroom then its definately some form of parasite :(

yea, it was coming from the body.

I dont see it anymore and the mushrooms looks fine, not all of them are open though. we'll have to wait and see now.

those white things are back, and at close inspection, it looks like they're from the mouths. Intestines as Nav said?

I dont see many of them at all.

EDIT: I notice them in mornings, then after an hour after lights are on, they are gone. do they stick them out at nights for feeding or something?

No, its nothing like that. much.

I tihnk Nav may be right, about intestines. I see it in the am, then its gone in minutes. the mushrooms are doing good, opening beautifully still.

But it has been a few days since I saw these spots, so Im about safely assuming its good and safe

Most reactions

Back