white spots on lionshead goldfish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

amityv

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I need some advise as to what to do next about my daughters fish she got for her birthday. My daughter got 2 lionhead fantails for her birthday on the 22nd. 2 days later i noticed they both had white spots growing on there heads. I treated the tank for 2 days with ick guard and they still had the spots. 1 died shortley after and i then took the last one out of the tank away from the rest of her fish and put him in a 5 gallon bucket with an airstone. Thats all i have at the moment for a hospital to treat him.I again used ick guard for 2 more days and Melafix, hoping the spots would go away. They just seem to be getting worse. Her other fish in her 30 gallon tank are fine. We have had this tank since July and have never had any problems. I believe these fish were sick when boughten from store. I just dont know what to do now. I have tried the ick for 4 days total and Melafix for 4 days and have saw no improvments. It eats fine and acts fine, but just looks awful.The ick guard that i am using came from my local petstore and active ingrediants are victoria green,nitromersol,acriflavine. It says it quickly and effectively clears ick or white spot without raising water temp. Its made by jungle labs. The guy at the petstore says thats the only thing he uses and its one of the best. But it has yet to clear whatever this is. I do have something called fungus clear on hand, but havent used it yet. Its for fungus and bacterial conditons. Just not sure what this is.
Any advise would be appreciated.
I have 3 images of this fish but dont know how to add them to this post. Sorry :*)

Okay i just read on a website about the lionhead goldfish and it had this information about them:

During the spawning season the male will have tubercles (small white dots, not to be confused with the disease ich) on their head, pectoral fins and gill covers. Thousands of eggs are produced and the parents are veracious egg eaters and must be removed immediately after spawning.

:S could this possibly be what these spots are? And why they arent going away?
Anyone else know anything about or have had any of these lionhead?
I dont know what to do! :crazy:

Hiya amityv, if you could post the pictures in this forum:

http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?act=SF&f=22

Although I am no expert with coldwater fish if we had a picture I'm sure people can help.

To post pictures start a new post in the"members aquarium pictures" just beneath where you type your message there is a "browse" button where you simply find the picture of your fish on your computer and select it you then submit the topic as usual :)

Ok the pictures are here: http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?ac...=ST&f=22&t=3244

Its hard to tell from the pictures so I'll reask some questions. Are these white spots just on the head? If they are it would tend to support the view that they are just part of the males colouration on maturity. I am going to move this to the coldwater section but will leave a link here so people can find it, that way when coldwater people come on the board they should be able to help you further ;) :)

Yes the white spots are just on his warty part of the head. I am scared to put him back in the tank with my daughters other fish because i dont know what it is. I know this type of fish likes warmer water and i dont have a heater for the hospital i have him in. Its just room temp. around 70-71 degrees. Not sure if this will make his condition worse or not. Tomarrow will be the 5th day of Melafix and the 5 day of ick guard. Somedays the spots are larger than others. not sure why. They were larger than usual this morning when i took the pics and now they have went down some. Now tommarow who knows. This is so odd! :blink:

I hear this one all the time. There are two possibilities, both of which are unfortunately little-known facts about fancy goldfish. One, during breeding time (when the water turns colder) the goldfish will develop little bumps, exactly like ich, on his head and gill plates. These should be ignores UNLESS you see spawning bahvior, which can injure females, and if you see the spots ANYWHERE other than the head and gill plate area. Also, fancy goldfish like the lionhead have what's called a "wen", which is the bumpy crazy growth all over the head. When it grows, it breaks out in little-pimple like growths. These start out looking like ich, then expand and break open to look like fungus. Very worrying to an ininformed keeper. This too should be ignored, it's actually i sign of good health and growth. Judging by the picture, you may have one, the other, or both.

by the way, your fish is fine at 70 degrees. Fancy goldfish enjoy a temperature below 74, ideally below 70, and as low as 0 degrees farenheit for a short period of time. anywhere from 60-70 is quite nice, anything above 75 starts to get harmful.

Read more essential facts about these suprisingly complex and facisnating fish here:
http://www.geocities.com/shtinkythefish/goldfish.htm

Best of luck,
Shtinky

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!
You just made my day! And my daughters.
I will put the poor little fellow back in his home, now that he is well medicated lol :*)
Well he shouldnt have any infections or fungus after all the medication he has had for 4 days.
No wonder nothing seemed to be helping him.
Thanks a million again! :)

hey hows the fish
if it white spot treating it wont actually get rid of it .ok it might look gone but it is a parasite that lives in the gravel as spores so you should clean the gravel start afresh

Most reactions

Back