White fuzzies on driftwood!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ANIM4L

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok when i put in two slices of cucumber, my fish kinda ignored them (it was thier first cucumber) and they sat at the bottom of the tank, and the cucumber was store bought fresh, only 2 hours old from albertsons :)

after about 4 hours, one of the cucumbers formed some type of fungusy stuff. It looked like fungus on a fish but NONE of my fish had any illnesses! The other stuff in the tank was fine, even the other cucumber. Later on in the night (after taking out the infected cucumber because i was scared that my fish would get hurt) the other cucumber got some on it, not nearly as much tho, and the driftwood on the left and right side of my tank had i on them!!! The wierdest thing, even a week later to this day, my middle tank driftwood has nothing on it!!! On the left i have a tiny peice of driftwood with it on it and my angel keeps picking at it, and on the right there is a HUGE peice with lots on it. It doesnt seem to be affecting my fish, but i dont know what it is. I dont want to scrb the driftwood, because i heard there was good stuff on driftwood for my plecos and stuff, but i dont know what to do. I have none on my plants, my sand, my glass, or anywhere else, just on driftwood. Is it good stuff on the driftwood or it is bad stuff???? It looks like fungusy stuff, and on some peices there are streaks of white stuff on them. Ill see if i can get a picture of it. If you know what it is can you please help me!!!

pass. I would take the wood out and boil it just to be safe.

if it is bad then best to catch it early.

I get it now and again on some of my mopani.
I believe it fungus, and its harmless.
But, to be on the safe side you could take it out and boil it again.
Or, simply scrub it off in the sink, thats all I do.

I had white fuzz develop on one of my pieces of mopani.It disappeared after a couple of weeks and didnt do the fish any harm

ya i didnt mention that my driftwood is MOPANI, but i will be redoing my tank to add either laterite or flourite to my tank (another post if ya wanna help out lol) so when i take them out i can put them in the bathtub and scrub them. Thanks for the help everyone !!!

Most reactions

Back