White flaky spot on betta head

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Millieg0001

Reaction score
Hi, my fish was fine this morning and now 6 hrs later he has a white spot on his head. It has a slight flap to it. Does anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• WP_20170916_17_05_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170916_17_05_57_Pro.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 123
  • WP_20170916_17_06_01_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170916_17_06_01_Pro.jpg
    860.8 KB · Views: 115
It's a bit difficult to tell from that picture (well done for trying though!) but it sounds more like an injury than an illness.

I'd suggest you check his tank over for anything that might be sharp, and get a guard for your heater if you haven't got one already.

For the moment, I wouldn't recommend a medication, but daily water changes as a precaution, and keep a close eye out for any secondary infections, like fungus.

If it was my fish, and I have done this before when I've had fish with small injuries, I'd do a 25 or 30% water change with warmed but not dechlorinated water; use the chlorine in there as a mild anti bacterial, that is what it's in the tap water for in the first place. That amount of chlorine won't be enough to damage your fish or your filters, but it can help stop fungus from attacking the site.

Your plants look amazing, btw; wish mine looked as good as that!

Last edited:
thank you for your reply. Sorry about the pics. Lol. Tried but Stanley kept moving too fast and the flash kept landing on him. I will change his water as suggested. Regards, Millie

I agree with fluttermouth

BTW
Can you please return my fish to his tank LOL
UsnpL1x.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks to fluttermoth. Stanley's white spot disappeared by the following morning after doing a partial water change. He must have bumped into something. He's been in the tank for a year now, so you would have thought he knows his home, lol. And NickAu, lol, he's a handsome pet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back