White Cotton Like Stuff On My Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sherhart

Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon fresh water tank. I have three large Parrott fish. I added water to my tank two days ago and now my fish have a white fluffy looking substance on them. It is on thier bodies, eyes, and fins. They are all laying around at the bottom. I do notice some white crusty stuff on the top of my tank. What is that? Could that have gotten on my fish? What do I do? Thank you

I have a 55 gallon fresh water tank. I have three large Parrott fish. I added water to my tank two days ago and now my fish have a white fluffy looking substance on them. It is on thier bodies, eyes, and fins. They are all laying around at the bottom. I do notice some white crusty stuff on the top of my tank. What is that? Could that have gotten on my fish? What do I do? Thank you

Are you able to post any pics? Without seeing them, we could take a guess at whitespot or a type of fungal infection.

Have you tested your water yet? If so, were all the readings ok?

Could the white crusty stuff at the water line be limescale deposits? (i.e. if you live in a hard water area) - and did you remember to condition the water before adding to the tank?

If the fish do have whitespot or fungal infection you could treat with something like Protozin, which is very good.

Athena

If it has a fluffy "cottony" appearance, you've most likely got a fungus infection and can be treated by both terramycin and aureomycin. A dosage of 50mg per gallon of water can be expected to be successful within 48 hours....

It is contageous and the tank will have to be disinfected and a complete water change done. Off course with the fish removed to temporary quarters.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back