White/clear Hairlike Cobweb Type Flowy Stuff (Real Technical Terms ..h

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thrujenseyes

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So, I finally got cycled two nights ago (fishless cycle, took 18 days).

I have a little fluval edge 6 gallon with two anacharis plants and one anubis.  

I wound up with a stoway assassin snail and one other "common snail" I think....that one is super teeny.

Anyway...I have seachem flourite (black) for substrate and one piece of malaysian wood.

....I did a snack dose last night (as I knew I wouldn't be able to get to a fish store until tomorrow.

Tonight I did a 75-80% water change to prepare for some new fish tomorrow (hopefully)

I'm thinking a few endlers (since my size is super limiting).

....Back to my question of the white/clear hairlike cobweb type flowy stuff that is flowing from the substrate all over the floor of the tank.  
I'd noticed a couple pieces before and thought nothing of it but tonight there seems to be more.  
It's almost clear, very hard to notice but it kind of shimmers in the water and moves slowly with the current from the filter.

It's super hard to get a picture since its so small and clear but I have a great little video, but I'm unsure how to get that to this thread.

I'd love some help with that if anyone knows!

you need to put it on a photo sharing site (like photobucket) and post a link to it here.

I have a great little video
Upload it to http://tinypic.com/ Make sure you select the video option, then hit upload, When done copy and paste the Direct Link for Layouts into your reply.

a48prk.png

I would almost bet you are seeing the effects from bacteria in the driftwood. If you start to see an outbreak of fuzzy patches and the long thing white/clear hairs on the wood, don't worry about it. It is harmless to fish and just feeding on the organic compounds in the wood and after nature takes its course, it will clear up.

If it is more noticeable in the substrate than on the wood, I would venture to guess at hair algae, which can rage from a green to silver (the silver being almost white/clear). Have you done any vacuuming of the substrate yet? Does it remove easily?

Definitely more on substrate and seemed to come out after big water change?! I have not vacuumed gravel yet as I don't want to remove too much of my beneficial bacteria...
I just completed my cycle three days ago.
Was preparing to get fish today.

Should I hold off?!?!

Oh and if I shake gravel it loosens and gets sucked up in filter. It's so light and barely there

I should also probably add that as I'm reading online ...
I was not leaving my lights on long enough ...
I thought that it was better for a cycling tank to not have the lights on too much so I was only doing about 5ish hours a day.

Oh and another thing...my anacharis (spelling) plants sheds like a mofo ...  and when I changed the water last night there were pieces everywhere.  The leaves seem to deteriorate and get clear.  The plant itself seems ok just the leaves in parts deteriorate and shed.

I'm guessing 5 hours of light will not be enough for the plants.
As for vacuuming the gravel, give it a go. It won't remove much bacteria, most of it should be inside your filter

well...I just got home from work and it's almost all gone?!?
I'm assuming it was just crud from getting everything stirred up after the big water change last night?!

Anyway did testing:

ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 0ppm
ph 7.5

Looks super duper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's great news :)

Now it's time for the fish, did you decide on what you are getting yet?

I just got home with 5 teeeeeeeeny little male endlers.  I think they called them fancy hot pink?!  Super colorful and so adorable.

Pics soon!!  They are bobbing in the tank in their bag getting acclimated :)

Look!!  One of my new Endlers!

How adorable!!

Attachments

• wtrmrkfish.JPG
    wtrmrkfish.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 201

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back