Which Test Manufacturer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

which test manufacturer do you think is best/most accurate?

• Nutrafin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • API

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Tetra

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

dgwebster

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Its all in the name really.

Ive used API and Nutrafin myself, need to replace some and decided to ask the question of others.

I don't know if I like the Nutrafin that much. The cards are oversized, the bottles all different sizes and shapes and most criminal of all, the test tubes have rounded bottoms. But i do think they are easier to read.

Others thoughts?

Salifert and Elos are my two favorite as well as the Hanna checkers of which I have the phosphate meter.

API, in my opinion is a good broad test but lacks the accuracy for specifics. For example if I'm starting a new tank I will use API to test for ammonia but if I'm checking for something more important like calcium in my reef tank I use salifert.

I've only ever used the API Master Test Kit and I have no complaints... apart from having to shake the bottles like mad!

Definitely one to recommend to beginners, everyone in fact :)

If you need truly accurate results, none-of-the-above can be relied upon.

TwoTankAmin said:
If you need truly accurate results, none-of-the-above can be relied upon.
What would you suggest instead then? :)

I did spy a Hanna test unit of fleabay for 150 squid  yesterday with out of date chemicals but it was pretty much full spectrum, covering ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, gh, kh, phosphates, iron and so on. Sadly my electricity bill also arrived yesterday.

Sounds like it's more than one unit they are selling. I could be wrong but I don't think Hanna has a mixed unit that does several tests. I think it's each one does a particular thing. Could be wrong though.
Here's their site (sorry US site is the only link I have) http://www.hannainst.com/usa/index.cfm that shows what they have. They have a digital read out and are quite accurate.

Any hobby-grade kit is going to be less accurate than a lab-grade or professional-grade kit but you can find ones that will meet your needs and get the job done.

I think the Hanna test kit is only available in the US as I had a quick look earlier. The only ones I could find were on ebay.com - so the US version.

I only had a quick look though, as in eBay and Amazon so I could be wrong.

Looking at the price, I think I'll stick with API! :lol:

Spotted them, I like the fact I can start building a collection bit by bit

I could only find pH and conductivity testers on Ebay and Amazon UK.
Perhaps we have found an opening in the UK market, Josh! lol

Simply type hanna + what you are looking for seems to do the trick

Just did what you suggested and it worked dgw!
http://www.hannachecker.co.uk/ammonia-low-range.html

Here's the uk website http://www.hannachecker.co.uk/ the only thing they don't appear to have is a nitrAte checker. All seem to be around the £56 mark as far as I can tell tho I only checked the ones I'd use.

Just done some price conversions - in USA for instance the nitrIte checker is $49.50 which converts to £32.27 so someone's making one heck of a profit! Guess they've got import duty and shipping to pay - just seems a bit steep tho probably worth it if you are more than a simple hobbyist such as I am.
wink.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back