Which Sand?

jv24

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i am in the planning stage of designing my new aquarium, i am looking at having sand as my substrate. i have read you can use children's play sand, i have also been told i can use silver sand. Just wanted everyones opinion?
thanks

Hi everyone, i am in the planning stage of designing my new aquarium, i am looking at having sand as my substrate. i have read you can use children's play sand, i have also been told i can use silver sand. Just wanted everyones opinion?
thanks

I use coral sand in my tank which looks nice and is bright :) it is more expensive than other sand I'm sure and will raise the Ph to some degree! It's easy to clean like any sand but I love the look of it really and the grain size!

Hi

Children's sand is fine, just make sure you wash it thoroughly before putting it in tank, it will ensure any dusty bits are removed and that the sand id perfectly safe for use.

i have a small 25l tank which i have added childrens play sand from argos (if in the uk) once i move i will replace the gravel in my large tank with sand. Only problem i have heard of is if you are going to add plants they dont have much to grab onto to stay rooted. but that is what i have heard..

Thanks for the replies so far, i forgot to add i may want to add real plants as well. I don't know if this can influence the type of sand i may use.

i have a small 25l tank which i have added childrens play sand from argos (if in the uk) once i move i will replace the gravel in my large tank with sand. Only problem i have heard of is if you are going to add plants they dont have much to grab onto to stay rooted. but that is what i have heard..

Argos playsand :good: £3.15 for 15kg i think

as for the plants i buy mine from pets at home and they come in a clay pot with the bottom cut out. i leave them in the pot and dig them deep into the sand. the pot is covered and the roots are growing under the sand.

Most reactions

Back