Which root tabs are the best?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rebe

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
API, Seachem Flourish, Tropica or other?

I use none of the overpriced substrate ferts but have been fertilizing my substrate for certain plants for years. However, what I use comes with a wearning.

My choice has been to use Jobe's Fertilizer Spikes for Lush Ferns & Palms. over 22 years ago before Amazon became what it is today it was hard for me to get this particular Jobe's product. I live in NY and we do not have a lot of Palms or many fern varieties due to winter. So my first supply was obtained by trading some of my bristlebose fry to a gent in Florida who sent me a few packs of the spikes.

I ch-oe the Fern & Palm one because of their 16-2-6 NPK analysis. These are a slow release product. However, this form of fertilizer comes with one big warning. They are not good if you are a regular rescaper. By that I mean you uproot some plants to then replace them with a different plant. The problem happens when you unearth the fert. If it gets out of the substrate and into the water you will quickly earn your aquarium MBA (Mastered BY Algae) degree.

I have never seen the sort of algae outbreak they can cause until I made this mistake. I began using the Jobe's when I set up my high tech. pressurized CO2 tank.

I use both the Jobe's and water born Tropical ferts and have now for 22 years. But, I am not a compulsive replanted so I have no issues.

The best thing about the spikes is you can cut them to any size wanted, you do not have to use a whole spike. This allows one to adapt the amount of fertilizer to the need. When the plants are small they get a small piece or pieces As they grow, they can get a larger piece. Also, for bigger plants I will cut several ssmaller pieces and push them into the substrate at different points to surround the root mass more evenly. I have two different long tweezers I can used for this. I usually use three pieces to surround the plant.

Btw, I have likely saved a few $100s over the years by using the spikes rather than an "aquarium" plant substrate fertilizer. I do pay up for the Tropica as it is the best product I found for what it does. Tropica is one of the worlds largest suppliers of plants for tanks and have been so for decades. I assume they know what they are doing in terms of their fertilizers.

edited for spelling and typos

Last edited:
@TwoTankAmin That's great thank you, so much detail is highly appreciated! I live in Ireland so I suspect that it might be tricky to source your first choice. I have only scaped a tank with plants once, (I don't count the QT) and I do move a few things around if needed. So I'll give tropica a try, it looks good :)

I have had incredible success with Flourish Tabs. For 12 years. I would not use API, due to various reports.

I use API ones in my small tank. They seem to do well, but they suggest you replace them every month. Flourish will last for 3-4 months I think. Last week I bought some for the big tank (and put them in the small one too) that I thought were just generic, but at the bottom of the bag it shows "Aquarium Concepts of Tempe Arizona." They last 3 months and were pretty cheap. We'll see how it goes.

I have had incredible success with Flourish Tabs. For 12 years. I would not use API, due to various reports.
IMG_20231218_150827.jpg

Seachem root tabs are being discontinued? 🥲

Anyone got a pack of the 'unimproved' tabs to compare? When I open a pack I transfer the tabs to an air tight tub and throw the packaging away.

Anyone got a pack of the 'unimproved' tabs to compare? When I open a pack I transfer the tabs to an air tight tub and throw the packaging away.
I'll have one when my order is delivered! Should be the next few days, unless anyone else has some on hand already

It will be interesting to compare the ingredients.

When Aldi puts a 'new improved' label on its products I groan because I know they won't be as good as the original. Hopefully Seachem's products won't be like that.

I thought I could solve the puzzle, but I guess I can't. I have a bag purchased 1 year ago (Dec. 2022). It is still unopened as I still had a few left over from another bag. Well, the "new & improved" seal was already appearing on my Dec. 2022 purchase, which has been kept refrigerated in my basement. Attached front and bag of that pack, but I do not have an older pack to compare.
Fluorish Tabs front.JPG

Fluorish tabs back IMG_2227.JPG

I had a brainwave and looked on eBay for sellers showing the old packaging. I found one showing the back of the packet.

Seachem Flourish root tabs - old packaging.jpg

Comparing the two, values as %

Nitrogen old 0.28, new 0.8
Phosphate old 0.11, new 0.17
Potash old 0.28, new 0.16
Calcium old 14.9, new 23.3
Magnesium old 0.06, new 0.29
Sulfur old 12.2, new 16.15
Boron old 0.029, new 0.003
Chlorine old 0.55, new not listed
Cobalt old 0.001, new 0.002
Copper old 0.001, new 0.006
Iron old 2.2, new 3.07
Manganese old 0.23, new 0.16
Molybdenum old 0.0009, new 0.0005
Sodium old 0.14, new not listed
Zinc old 0.0024, new 0.003

'New improved' contains more nitrogen, phosphate, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, cobalt, copper, iron, zinc.
'New improved' contains less potash, boron, manganese, molybdenum.
'New improved' has dropped sodium, chlorine.

I had a brainwave and looked on eBay for sellers showing the old packaging. I found one showing the back of the packet.
Damn you Essjay, I had just done the same thing and was about to proudly post my findings! If only I had been 9 minutes quicker I would have beaten you to it 😂😂😂

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back