Which Of The Huge Mouths?

CAC

Formerly: Catfish Are Cool
Reaction score
Been a few changes to how my tanks are stocked recently, and ive decided I want to keep my 18g as a species tank. It currently houses a juvi convict to keep the filter going. It can be moved into my main (65g) tank with the rest of them.
So for the 18g Im after a nice predator or two. So Im either going to have a Chaca species (likely C. chaca or C.burmensis) or a couple of T. amazonica. Basically wondering what everyones thoughts are really. I know what ill be getting myself into with both, it will likely be the toughtest fish ill have kept so far to feed but Im up for the challenge. What Im hoping to do is convert from live fish, to rivershrimp or earthworms and then (if its possible) to dead shrimp or fish, which I think is more likely with the monster fish from what ive read. Anyone have any ideas as with other species to stock with for live food? (unfortunately its not big enough for adult convicts otherwise I would have gone with them). I could get a pair for the 65g but I dont want it to get too teratorial in there.
Which is more likely to be converted to dead or earthworms do people reckon?
Does anyone have any pics of the prehistoric monsters, ive only seen a few photos off the PFK site and a couple of others...?

Thanks alot, Mike

I personally would go with the Chaca species, since I have experienced the amazonica before. Honestly, they stay under the sand... and that's it. Food dissappears every once and a while and they still hidden. Not too fun, but hey, they are pretty cool looking when you see them. I don't know how active the Chacas are in comparison, but I am sure they are similar. I just thought that Chacas actually stayed out in the open, but I am not an expert on that.

But the only problem is, from what I've heard, Chacas are very unlikely to take dead foods: which is what you are looking for.

Here's the only good picture I could find of one. They aren't easy to take a picture of, since they hide all the time. :rolleyes:

20820070627121951fl5.jpg

Chaca are exactly the same as in all you see is a mouth in the sand but in all my years of keeping them i have never seen one yet take something that isn't a live fish.

Did not Sirminion have one that took dead?

A quick search says yes he did

Some points to note are that SM found his could lower the pH in the tank. SM's one would come out once every three to four weeks to let them know it wanted food, after feeding it would go back to hiding and stay there until hungry again.

I do believe, however, that SM's chaca was somewhat of an exception and you are more likely to be in CFC's position of constantly supplying feeders.

Ok, thanks for that andy, interesting read. Ive heard of people converting their chacas to dead, but that was the first account of it happening with someone whos reliable. Im going to see next time a shop has them in stock to ask what their feeding on (I was told a while ago by BAS that theirs were feeding on small earthworms) but ill ask to see it in person before hand. If I can only get a live feeding one, it will have to wait a while longer as I go away in october for a while.

Thanks, Mike

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back