Which meds should I keep in stock ?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I'd make sure you have a carton of aquarium salt handy. Its very helpful, especially if you can't get the meds. Also, you could get a bottle of tea tree oil and make some MelaFake (do a search). Never used it before, but apparently can be helpful.

It's a bit of catch 22. If I stock slowly I'll undo some of the good work I've done by doing a fishless cycle, since a lot of the bacteria will die back. If I add quite a few fish at once, there will be a greater risk that one of the fish will bring something nasty into the tank and infect the others. Also, being a newbie, I'm concerned about making mistakes - stocking slowly will mean that fewer fish will be subjected to any problems I inadvertently create - also I'll have longer to get used to each species, read up about them, etc.

Dilemas! Dilemas!

The chances of new fish bringing something nasty into the tank are few and far between if you buy from a reputable lfs and check to see that their fish are healthy. Ich is present in all tanks, even the cleanest and best kept ones and it's by keeping tanks in optimum conditions that the fish stay healthy. New fish can develop ich through the stress of moving - it's very rare that they come with it from the lfs. After all, if they had it in the lfs, then you wouldn't buy it would you? A well kept tank reduces the possiblity of illnesses, 90%+ of fish diseases are through poorly kept tanks.

That's reassuring - sounds like we shouldn't be too hesitant about stocking, and add most of the fairly standard fish at the same time - we still haven't decided exactly what combination !

Most reactions

Back