Which Is The Best Fish To Put In New Tank First

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Paradese

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!

Newbie here! Looking around and reading your threads I think you will be able to answer my question easily and I would really appreciate some good advice.

My tropical tank is now ready for some resisdents and I have heard and read mixed opionons on what are there best fish to introduce to my new tank first.

Both Tetras and Zebra Donios have been suggested,

I'm swaying towards the Donios but would love your advice before I go out to get first fish.

:D

Hello Everyone!!

Newbie here! Looking around and reading your threads I think you will be able to answer my question easily and I would really appreciate some good advice.

My tropical tank is now ready for some resisdents and I have heard and read mixed opionons on what are there best fish to introduce to my new tank first.

Both Tetras and Zebra Donios have been suggested,

I'm swaying towards the Donios but would love your advice before I go out to get first fish.

:D

danios are much hardier... they would be a better choice than the tetras who like well established tanks. how big is your tank?

Thanks yes tank has been cycled and appears to be ready for fish.

The tank holds 64 litres (not sure what that is in gallons)

Thanks for the advice i think i will go with the Donios I would prefer something hardier for my first tropical fish.

Is there any fish that shouldnt be put with Donios later down the line if they do make it?

so is it the general rule of thumb - if fish are bigger the eat smaller fish??

so simalar size fish should be ok? -_-

so is it the general rule of thumb - if fish are bigger the eat smaller fish??

so keeping fish that are simalar size should be ok? -_-

Have you completed a fishless cycle? If so, your choice.

If not? the tetras are very sensitive fish and wont' survive a cycle, but zebra danios usually make it.
I found my black widow tetras are pretty hardy, they cycled my 10g. But I thought that danios need at least a 2ft long tank like a long 20g since they are so active.

Paradise: Thats not always true. Bascially things you should go for peaceful fish like black widow tetras or red eyed tetras.

everything i have ever heard about tetras is they are very sensitive to poor water quality, so i will stand by my statement. 64 ltrs is 17 US gal. a 10 gal is at a minimum 20", same with a 15 gal (source) That chart doesn't have UK tank sizes on it, but i would say it is safe to assume atleast 20". Therefore, he should have no problem keeping zebra danios in it

Tetra Neons cycled my tank. Remember all areas get things that do not go well with their water. In my area Neons are inexpensive and I have found all but one of mine survived the initial cycle.
I would ask in your particular area as in no way have I found tetras senitive . Platys on the other hand are a rare breed here.

Have you completed a fishless cycle? If so, your choice.

If not? the tetras are very sensitive fish and wont' survive a cycle, but zebra danios usually make it.

Black widow tetras are often recommended. The tetra group includes a great number of fish with varying degrees of sensitivity, so you can't really make general statements about it.

But nothing can beat a little bottle of ammonia- fishless for me!

a 10 gal is at a minimum 20", same with a 15 gal (source)

Sorry, but that's nonsense, you have quoted as a source a list of tank sizes from one supplier...

10Gs can be less than 20" long...

Source: The 18" 10G that is sat on the table behind me.

Two things to remember about danios- we get quite a few threads about aggressive danios, both on this list and the other forum I am on. This is not because they are nasty fish, but because they have two requirements: they need to be in schools (2 danios is asking for trouble), and they need to have plenty of swimming room (personally I'd say 36" rather than 24"). To cycle a 64 ltr tank you would only need a couple of danios, so those first few weeks could get very stressful.

If you deciding on either tetras and danios i would suggest tetras. Danios are great and hardy fish, but IMO you have a lot more choice in tetras. And if you do get a bigger tank most tetras are compatible with other fish (that arent to big.)
If you do decicde to go into the tetras then you might want a colorful chool such as:
7-8 Black Skirt Tetras
8-9 Cardinal Tetras
5-6 Glowlight Tetras
7-8 Rummy Nose Tetras
9-10 Serpae Tetras

There are alot more options out there, but this is the general. If you plan not to go into tetras or danios I can give you a huge varity of options.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back