Which Is The Best Corydoras Fry Food.

Baltic Regions

Reaction score
My corydoras have laid eggs which I have since seperated from the tank. I've read the guide on breeding corydoars which was most helpful. I've been looking for the best type of food to feed them and with several types of baby brine shrimp feed, i'd like some advice.

Powdered brine shrimp food?

Baby brine shrimp food?

Brine shrimp eggs?

:blink:

First off, congratulations on the eggs! What type of cories do you have?

Some people may do this differently, but this is how I do it. They will eat the yolk sack for the first 24 hours then I usually start mine off on microworms. You can get a culture ready to feed the fry off of aquabid (I have used the seller Sonic before with success). You can feed the fry the microworms for a couple of days or so. You can also feed them baby brine shrimp. Once they are big enough, then you can start feeding them crushed flake and tablets.

The last set of fry I have raised, I didnt have any microworms. I fed them frozen BBS and it worked very well. I also have been feeding them Boyd's Vita Diet, which is a very small crumble full of nutrients. Its small enough for them the eat. They are now about 2 months old and are eating full size flakeds and frozen blood worms. They have grown a lot faster and bigger this time around.

Good Luck :good:

First off, congratulations on the eggs! What type of cories do you have?

Some people may do this differently, but this is how I do it. They will eat the yolk sack for the first 24 hours then I usually start mine off on microworms. You can get a culture ready to feed the fry off of aquabid (I have used the seller Sonic before with success). You can feed the fry the microworms for a couple of days or so. You can also feed them baby brine shrimp. Once they are big enough, then you can start feeding them crushed flake and tablets.

The last set of fry I have raised, I didnt have any microworms. I fed them frozen BBS and it worked very well. I also have been feeding them Boyd's Vita Diet, which is a very small crumble full of nutrients. Its small enough for them the eat. They are now about 2 months old and are eating full size flakeds and frozen blood worms. They have grown a lot faster and bigger this time around.

Good Luck :good:

They are bronze cories. Will look for microworms.

It's all very exciting. I kind of bought the tank of uncle a few years ago and never realised it could be a true hobbie!

Really, thanks for the advice!

:rolleyes:

They will also eat powdered fry food right away after the egg sac, if you have trouble getting the cultures in time. I have used HBH Fry Bites, Hikari First Bites, and Atison's Betta Starter with fine success. I have also taken to adding gel-tek Ultra Grow VX, also available in most LPS. (As the name suggests it is a gel you can drop in which has extra nutrients.) All of these can be gotten in the local LFS or LPS. The primary issue with the powders is not to over feed so that there are leftovers to fungus. I have solved that by using a breeding net.

Some also use liquid fry food.

When I hatched my first eggs I did not have access to the fancy foods--no liquid fry, no baby brine shrimp, no microworm cultures--just hungry fry. So I used what I could get and developed a method that has worked for me.

Thanks jollysue for that info. When i get back home and start to try and breed my peppers and sterbai. Ill use HBH Fry Bites aswell as vinegar eels. Because its hard to find microworms in austrlia. Can only find adult brine shrimp (frozen) and vinegar eels.

Torrens

Glad it helps. Just remember that the dead food will fungus and spread to the fry and eggs if it sits long. That's why the net has worked best for me, because there is plenty of water movement from the filters, and I don't have to fuss about tossing fry out with daily water changes. :blush:

You might check with your Betta society for cultures. Betta breeders use baby brine shrimp and microworms.

I also toss in a bit of some plant, like an Amazon Sword. They get some nutrients from plant materials and other stuff floating in a mature tank. Again, why I like the nets.

I used liquifry and baby brine shrimp. They can take newly hatched napauli within a couple of days. They never stop eating after that. I also use liquifry powder fry food and they all seem to be pretty healthy.

Whatever you feed, try and make it little and often. I only have time to feed morning and night but three times a day is better.

I've used Hikari First Bites with great success.  I got it off ebay cheap.  I'm sure there are better methods, though.  :)

Most reactions

Back