Which Digital Camera (another One Sorry)

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Lace

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am wanting to upgrade my camera, at the moment I have a Fuji finepix S5500 which I have had a fair while. It dosn't take great pictures, and I am getting increasingly frustrated with the pictures it/I take - probably due to the fact my father is a big camera fan and into photography. Although unfortunately he dosn't seem to give me any advice!!!

I would like to give the Digital SLR's a go, but have never used one before so don't need/want to go too high tech. I would like to take great pictures of the kids and fish/tank.

Would love to hear/see your suggestions.

Many thanks

Lace

hi Lace

what is your budget? pretty much any of the beginner DSLR's will ease a newbie into the world of photography. I shoot Nikon myself, so I cant comment on the beginner models from the other brands, but, from Nikon, look at the D60, or the new D5000. If those are too expensive, I believe the Nikon D40 has been dis-continued now, but you should be able to pick one up second hand for a few hundred (though it'll only auto-focus with AF-S lenses) or the older, but still useable D50 (which will auto focus with all Nikon lenses, bar the very old manual lenses of course)

The best thing to do would be to go into a camera shop...even Jessops will do :lol: and try out the models in your price range, find one that feels comfortable, then buy it online which would probably work out cheaper.

The good thing about DSLR's is that they grow with your experience, starting out in full auto mode, then semi-auto then full manual.

HTH abit, if you have any specific questions about Nikon, or photography techniques, just give me a shout.
Like I said I've never shot Canon, Pentax, Sony etc so I cant comment on them :)

Thanks alot for the reply. Budget wise I was thinking of around £400 although best not tell the man of the house!!! What he don't know.....

I will deffo go visit a camera shop and have a play around. Model wise I was looking at the Nikons and Canons as my father has used both of these - one of the few things I have learnt from him. Not sure I'd like to go the 2nd hand route with a camera incase something went wrong with it... so it will probably limit me a little with my budget.

Thanks alot for the reply. Budget wise I was thinking of around £400 although best not tell the man of the house!!! What he don't know.....

I will deffo go visit a camera shop and have a play around. Model wise I was looking at the Nikons and Canons as my father has used both of these - one of the few things I have learnt from him. Not sure I'd like to go the 2nd hand route with a camera incase something went wrong with it... so it will probably limit me a little with my budget.

A Nikon D60 with 18-55mm VR would fall within your budget, however like the D40, wont auto focus with anything but AF-S and AF-I lenses. Its not a major problem, really, as there are plently of AF-S lenses on the market, should you wish to upgrade at a later date.

Fabby thanks for the replys and suggestions

If it helps I got myself a Fuji S2 Pro, I'm no expert but it does me really well. It's a Nikon Body and uses Nikon lenses, but with Fuji Technology.

I've taken some stunning photos with it - does everything I would need and more.

I got mine as part payment for some work I did for a local photographer (he had upgraded to the S3 pro at the time) Had it a few years now.

You can get them 2nd hand on ebay for around £150 body only or £250ish with a decent lens.

My dad got a newer Nikon DSLR (can't remember the number) which cost a lot more, it lacks a lot of the features that the S2 has and pictures aren't any better, only advantage is my dad's is smaller with a bigger screen.

Thanks for this, still havn't found one yet but my Dad was harping on about the Fuji S2/3 pro I think it was, hard to find though.

£400, plenty of 'entry level' slr's for you.I myself have been looking at DLSR's and came across this:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-came...-Digital-SLR/p1
I have seen it for £260, and with extra lenses etc you would soon reach your £400 budget.
The general consensus seems to be that is overall better then its counterparts the nikon d40, canon, and olympus equivalent, even though Sony is relatively new to DSLR's

Keep an eye out on ebay etc..Look how much this went for.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...#ht_1030wt_1165

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...T#ht_500wt_1182

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...T#ht_500wt_1182

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...#ht_3943wt_1165

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
TBH all the entry level dslr's are good Canon/nikon/sony they all have the strong and weak points its pretty even.

I would believe you would have a greater range in second hand lenses from Nikon and Cannon as these are more popular

Most reactions

Back