Which Corys Do You Have?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i raise mine is a sponge filter tank but i also have em in small containers for a bit fist and i have no issues at all right now thsy are about 1/4 inch long and about to get moved to a 20l with sand then o have a tidal 35 with sponge on the inlet

Attachments

• IMG_0698.jpeg
    IMG_0698.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0697.jpeg
    IMG_0697.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 13
5 C. aeneus. That was the first Cory I kept over 60 years ago. I finally got past "The Great Bronze Cory Shortage of 2023." I bouight 3 relatively small ones in February of this year with the intent to buy a couple more a little later. A little later I started pestering my LFS for more of these and they were not able to get any. That finally changed a couple weeks ago. They had some that they told me were wild caught and were pretty large - fully grown? I bought two and put them in my quarantine tank along with two tiny Siamese Algae Eaters. (The SAEs were about the size of a smallish White Cloud.) After about 10 days in the Q tank, I moved the Corys to my community 55 gallon. I'm still watching to see if they hang out together but there was some drama during the transfer and things are settling down still. (Subject for another post about Cory toxicity.)

That's all the Corys I have. No pix yet.

Thanks!

5 C. aeneus. That was the first Cory I kept over 60 years ago. I finally got past "The Great Bronze Cory Shortage of 2023." I bouight 3 relatively small ones in February of this year with the intent to buy a couple more a little later. A little later I started pestering my LFS for more of these and they were not able to get any. That finally changed a couple weeks ago. They had some that they told me were wild caught and were pretty large - fully grown? I bought two and put them in my quarantine tank along with two tiny Siamese Algae Eaters. (The SAEs were about the size of a smallish White Cloud.) After about 10 days in the Q tank, I moved the Corys to my community 55 gallon. I'm still watching to see if they hang out together but there was some drama during the transfer and things are settling down still. (Subject for another post about Cory toxicity.)

That's all the Corys I have. No pix yet.

Thanks!

I also bought 4 adults like 4 years ago for a 55 gallon and have no idea how but they bred left and right then boom not one egg in last 2 years and glad as now have 12 due to first year .

I actually added 3 kuhli loaches and cherry shrimp so they would eat any new eggs but they simply stopped breeding , other then that big and doing well .

eggs.jpg

well I only have 4-5 varieties right now... but the black ones are my favorite cory's right now... I got mine at a 1/2" & they have grown like crazy, which is good, because they are in my barb tank, & the Tin Foils have been growing fast as well... I have 4 of them in this tank...

so far I have...
3 -Corydoras agassizi
3- Albino Corydoras aeneus var.
6- Corydoras sterbai
4-Venezuelan Blacks

Oh have only seen pics of the Venezuelan Blacks .

Did you get them online ?

i have wc eques, pygmy, orange laser and a mixture of wc and tank raised sterbai. Btw for those who don't know don't mix cory of the same lineage in the same tank.

I want pygmy Cories for my 10 gallon but I added plant substrate then topped it with sand, so now I can't have them :( but maybe once the substrate loses its nutrients I'll just put sand in, then I can have Cories.

I want pygmy Cories for my 10 gallon but I added plant substrate then topped it with sand, so now I can't have them :( but maybe once the substrate loses its nutrients I'll just put sand in, then I can have Cories.
I am good friends with someone who has done the same! She is loving the idea of Corydoras but didn't realise. I never knew there was an issue in all my years of keeping Cory. I just happened to have never gone for plant substrate. Ironically, I nearly did with my most recent set up that I have 18 corydoras in, but in the end I went with pure sand (without even knowing plant substrate can be an issue).

Forgot to mention my army of sterbai are so much happier in an 8x4 than a 120 - they don't even bother to hide any more.

@Byron is there any hope for people in this situation, or is it a complete non-starter?

nice! I've raised cories almost 3 years now, and they are really goofy fish!
because of the loss of guppy fry, I ended up rubber-binding 2 filter sponges to the filter powerhead intake.
if I raise the fry with my sponge filter tank, will they be sucked in?
They shouldn’t get sucked in if it’s a fine sponge and it’s well above the bottom. Fry are a tiny bioload so they don’t need powerful filtration.

@Salamandra

Thanks great site going to order shrimp and going to add corys when day temps here average high 70s day .

I know he uses Fed ex but over years I have learned not to order here when day temps 90 or higher .

I saw he also has the dwarf snowball plecos which am contemplating , a friend has one and stunning cost him close to 2x what Joes has them for .

Forgot to mention my army of sterbai are so much happier in an 8x4 than a 120 - they don't even bother to hide any more.

What temps do you keep your sterbai ?

I read on one site they like it cool the other site fairly warm.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back