Which Catfish...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Minxnfella

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi
Right, this started off somewhere else but got told I would get more of a response in here...So here we go.
I have a 3ft tank currently with 3 guppies in it (one has mysteriously killed itself this evening). I want catfish but there is salt in the tank and opinion has it that salt isn't good for catfish. I don't like cories so don't really want them and am now a bit stuck as to what to get. Size isn't really going to be a problem unless they grow in the next 6 months after that the tank will no doubt get larger.....
I have seen the butterfly catfish today ( They were stuck to the side of the tank and look like catfish having checked the other discussion) and quite like those, but I just like the plain old plecs...
So, what is a girl to do? I can desalt the tank to an extent now things have calmed down a bit (long story, don't ask).
What do you all think?
Knackered and Clueless....
Minx :S

Hi Minxnfella - where that name come from????

Unfortunatly you do limit your choices with a brackish set-up.....

Your guppies would be happy enough in a freshwater tank and this then opens up the possibility of a much wider range of tankmates - maybe consider this :unsure:

Heres a few species that would be suitable for brackish though....

brackish fish :)

:)

Hi
Well the Minxnfella comes from a chat name and my now fiance, since the fish thing was started by him (he won me a goldfish at the fair in the summer).
The tank has salt in it at the moment, but is coming up for a water change and I don't think I'll replace the salt. The salt was in there because of the stress of the past week on the fish, it's been a bit mad for both the tank and me! Just looked at my tank...are guppies supposed to eat algae??? Because one of them is!
Anyway, I saw some butterfly catfish (have I already said this?) and have fallen in love with them so I think my research will be heading that way now. Also, can anyone tell me whether they were in with the goldfish in the store for a reason or was it just practicality?

Ok, off for now, from the sounds of it the dogs are now shredding the front door so I'd better see what's going on.

See ya!

Yus, guppies will peck at algae its full of nutrients to so as well as keeping them occupied it ensures they get their greens :)

A wise decision with the salt I think for sure. I don't know much about butterfly catfish you'd probably better ask for more info on that in the catfish cradle forum.

Various hillstream loaches of asia are known as Butterfly Catfish or Butterfly Plecs in the trade. Try and be sure of what you're buying because Hillstream Loaches are temperate water fish, not tropical as such. The temperature needs for these fish are not as high. There is a Loricariid (Plec) known as the Buttterfly Catfish and there are various small Asian Catfish known as Moth Catfish. Look on Planet Catfish if you aren't sure, It may help you a bit. :)

10 to 1 its not a catfish minx was looking at! if it was hara hara then get me one! they have a beauty in them :lol: Gibbo is rite butterflyfish (africa) and the butterfly plec ( usually sold which 99% is the hillstream or borneo loach or Butterfly Plec’ (Beaufortia Leveretti) coldwater fish) The butterfly plec also know as Common Name: Butterfly Pleco, Flounder Pleco, L052, L168, Tiger Pleco---- Zonancistrus pulcher .. which is a great looking plec

As has been suggested Minx, you should definitely convert the tank water to tropical, if for no other reason than to give you a much broader range of fish at your disposal.

Incidentally, while your on cats & the like, may I suggest a small shoal of bronze catfish, which can be found in albino form as well, or certainly the adorable striped loaches. Both are great bottom-dwellers, & each are great scavengers that will do their share in cleaning up the tank.

Incidentally, while your on cats & the like, may I suggest a small shoal of bronze catfish, which can be found in albino form as well, or certainly the adorable striped loaches. Both are great bottom-dwellers, & each are great scavengers that will do their share in cleaning up the tank.
not with salt in the tank , yes when the tank is 100% tropical with no salt trace.

cryosi said:
not with salt in the tank , yes when the tank is 100% tropical with no salt trace.
Thats correct, Cry, I was making the suggestions on the back of the assumption that Minx was going to go tropical. Thanks for further clarifying that.

Hi
Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll look further into it before I decide! It may be that the butterfly catfish I was looking at are the ones someone mentioned, that need to be kept at lower temperatures as they were in with the goldfish in the shop. I'm thinking about that for the goldfish tank.

As for the bronze catfish, they're aka cories aren't they? I really don't like them!!! Thanks anyway though!

yes the bronze are cories that was mentioned! if you are thinking of the butterfly plec or butterfly catfish that you see in with goldfish you may find it is the borneo sucker loach or Chinese Butterfly Loach / Borneo sucker - Gastromyzon sp. or hillstream loach, great little thing dont get big and eat algae prefers a current in the tank.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/ghillstream.html

yes i've that butterfly in my tank, wich is a tropical tank had him now a while and he doe's ok in there infact he's just starting to grow more now,
its a lovely fish , pics off the algae good,

American Shark Catfish have to move into brachish water as the mature but they do get big, they are hard to care for and best kept in a sigle species aquarium.
Sorry thats the only catfish in brackish water i can think of!!!! ;)

Most reactions

Back