Which algae eater?

The precise taxonomy and origin of the common "bristlenose" is unknown, and some authorities believe it may be a hybrid of other species. Several selectively bred varieties exist, including the albino and long-fin forms. Depending upon the species, sizes range from 3 to 4 inches, with a few species attaining five inches. When I authored a profile of this for another site, I said one could manage in a 10g, a pair in 20 gallons. I'm not sure I would do this, maybe. As AdoraBelle says, the bioload is an issue, much more than the size. The fish would be perfectly happy in a smaller space if it has food, but the aquarist has to ensure the water is clean. Herbivore fish like all herbivorous animals need to eat a lot of food compared to omnivores and carnivores.

Thanks for so much information and suggestions! I never thought snails could be so good at algae.

Ancistrus: As mentioned, they may loose interest in algae later and will also increase the bioload.

SAE: Surely I cant have more than one in this tank as the tank is already well stocked. Also, the gravel is not really smooth. Its not very sharp but has uneven edges, can be seen in the photo in the 1st post.

Snails: I really like them and can put a couple of them. But is my substrate suitable for snails? I did some research but could not find much.

Also, I am adding live plants - rooted ones and / or floating ones (with root tabs / liquid fertilizer). May also add a small driftwood. The plants will make the tank denser. I really dont like the look of my open tank.

Will also put black paper on the side close to the window to block light. Some light comes on the front as well (can see in the photo) and that should be sufficient to promote algae.

So in order - two snails (if substrate is okay) > one ancistrus > one/ two SAE (as they prefer to be with more of their type and gravel may not be very suitable for them).

What do you suggest?

I really like the way Aqua67 has put plants on the wood. It takes care of getting plants near the top.

Further to the above, I just now felt the gravel in my tank. Although its uneven and not rounded at all, I could not feel anything sharp against my palm when lightly pressing against the top of gravel.

Personally I wouldn’t keep SAEs in anything less than a small group.

Thanks for so much information and suggestions! I never thought snails could be so good at algae.

Nerite snails especially can be very good at removing algae!
Ancistrus: As mentioned, they may loose interest in algae later and will also increase the bioload.

SAE: Surely I cant have more than one in this tank as the tank is already well stocked. Also, the gravel is not really smooth. Its not very sharp but has uneven edges, can be seen in the photo in the 1st post.
I personally wouldn't go for these either, especially when adding cover to the tank, live plants and snails will do a lot more, without the bioload/keeping a group of SAEs issues.
Snails: I really like them and can put a couple of them. But is my substrate suitable for snails? I did some research but could not find much.

Yes, gravel is fine for snails! Remember they move about on a mucus trail, so they're not sensitive to the substrate in the way fish are. You'll also find them moving about on the glass and decor a lot.
Also, I am adding live plants - rooted ones and / or floating ones (with root tabs / liquid fertilizer). May also add a small driftwood. The plants will make the tank denser. I really dont like the look of my open tank.

Didn't mean to insult the look of your open tank! I also remember having quite white gravel in my first tank, and not liking when it started to turn green! But blocking the most exposed side from the light will help a lot, and some floating plants especially help the fish feel safer from overhead predators (they don't know there aren't any!) while helping a lot with sucking up waste and having healthier water parameters.
I really like the way Aqua67 has put plants on the wood. It takes care of getting plants near the top.

It does! You can also get some plants that will grow the full of the tank, like limnophilia sessiliflora, vallis, or bunches of elodea or hornwort that can be planted or left to float. Fast growing plants like any of those listed will do more to help in competing against algae for nutrients than slow growing plants like moss, ferns or anubius. But the latter are still nice to have, especially when you want some greenery attached to wood or stone.

Further to the above, I just now felt the gravel in my tank. Although its uneven and not rounded at all, I could not feel anything sharp against my palm when lightly pressing against the top of gravel.

You cannot judge roughness with your hand. I fell into this trap some years ago when I selected Flourite for one tank and in my hand it was (or felt) fine. But within a week the cories were minus their barbels and one even had about a third of its lower jaw sawn off. I moved them to a soft sand tank and they all recovered.

Regardless of that, it is still gravel and no good for cories and loaches.

You may have missed the issue here. SAE is a shoaling/schooling fish and must be kept in a group. But you do not have space for a group, so you cannot have this fish in this tank.

I got 2 of these yesterday and put them in the tank late evening.
Since today morning only one can be seen. Tried super hard but could not find the other one. The only place he could be is well inside the gravel - cant even see the shell or top of the shell. Also cant identify the area from where he burrowed, if he has.

Attached

Attachments

• 20230305_130414.jpg
    20230305_130414.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 24
Nerites don't burrow in the substrate but they do cling to the underneath side of decor where they can't be seen.

Nerites don't burrow in the substrate but they do cling to the underneath side of decor where they can't be seen.
That comes from experience!
I tried and tried but couldnt find it. After too much difficulty managed to see a bit of its shell using a torch in a nook underneath a decor piece!
Thanks a lot!

That comes from experience!
I tried and tried but couldnt find it. After too much difficulty managed to see a bit of its shell using a torch in a nook underneath a decor piece!
Thanks a lot!

We've all been there! With a hiding fish, snail, shrimp or something, and they seem to have slipped into another dimension! The largest fish in one of my tanks is a blue gourami, a good four inches. But she's incredibly shy and very effective at hiding!

Most reactions

Back