Which algae eater?

Vikasr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I get a lot of algae in my 75L (20g) tank due to tank being placed near a large window. Its green algae (dust type, not spot algae) that I get. When I change the water every 7-10 days I clean the glass and siphon the gravel clean of algae, some algae remains. Then after 5-6 days I start seeing it again and by 8-10 days there is lots of algae on glass and gravel.

Tank has 6 glofish and 1 thick lipped gourami. I want to add some algae eaters to help with the algae. Substrate is gravel, not very smooth. Now I have plastic plants but going to put live plants soon. Photo of tank attached.

Any suggestions which algae eater would be good?

Attachments

• 20230224_121408.jpg
    20230224_121408.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 47
I would look at a couple of Ancistrus in there. They are hardy, interesting weird looking effective algae eaters for what you are getting. It sound like tank location is always going to cause algae growth, and they should thrive.

I would look at a couple of Ancistrus in there. They are hardy, interesting weird looking effective algae eaters for what you are getting. It sound like tank location is always going to cause algae growth, and they should thrive.
Bristlenose?

Bristlenose. Where I am, they are usually called Ancistrus, the scientific name, as it works in both our regional languages. You never know what trade name will be used where so I tend to stick with the Latin.

If you're trying to fix your algae problem, then you can't rely on an animal to do that for you. Or a chemical for that matter. Algae is usually the result of an imbalance of light and/or nutrition. Excess light or overfeeding are common causes of algae.
In my case, its excess light and I can't do much about it. So just to help with the algae, the fish would help a bit and maybe live plants would do a bit too.

There is no fish that will deal with any type of "problem" algae. Algae is caused by light and nutrients. You do not have live plants, so algae is always going to increase because nothing else is using the nutrients that naturally occur from feeding fish. Reducing the light, and possibly reducing the nutrients, is the only safe course of action.

Live plants would help by using some of the nutrients. But the light, both over the tank (direct light) and ambient room/window light, factor in.

Nerite snails do a good job on algae. They may leave tiny white eggs on your hard scape though. Research them before you get one.

Ramshorn and bladder snails help with algae and do a great job keeping a tank clean.

Siamese algae eaters can do a good job also but they can grow large so make sure you aren’t over populating your aquarium. I have two tanks each with 1 SAE but some fishkeepers recommend keeping 5 or 6 in a tank (you’d have to have a very large tank though).

My L144 ancistrus might have been helpful as a youngster with the algae in my aquarium but as he grew older his taste for algae waned.

Nerite snails do a good job on algae. They may leave tiny white eggs on your hard scape though. Research them before you get one.

Ramshorn and bladder snails help with algae and do a great job keeping a tank clean.

Siamese algae eaters can do a good job also but they can grow large so make sure you aren’t over populating your aquarium. I have two tanks each with 1 SAE but some fishkeepers recommend keeping 5 or 6 in a tank (you’d have to have a very large tank though).

My L144 ancistrus might have been helpful as a youngster with the algae in my aquarium but as he grew older his taste for algae waned.
Are SAE good with green algae? Also, my substrate is not really smooth, hope it wont harm SAE.
Else I can try ancistrus.

SAEs do rest on the gravel, hard scape and plant leaves, so if you have sharp gravel it is possible they might scrape themselves. If startled they can dash around and I’ve heard that keeping a glass lid on the aquarium will help keep them from accidentally jumping out when startled. So that is something for you to consider. They seemed to eat a lot of the mess in some java moss that I purchased though, and may have also eaten some of that moss too. I’ll stick to tissue culture mosses now as they are much cleaner.

I can’t tell you for certain what ate all of the algae in my aquarium, but I can tell you that any of my aquariums with a snail have absolutely no algae at all.

I will try to find some “before” and “after” pictures to show you what algae they have cleaned up in my aquariums. I don’t normally keep pictures of my aquariums when they are algae-laden.

Here is a pic from Nov 22 last year. You can see algae on the back glass, filter intake tube, on plant leaves, and on the driftwood. All 3 types of algae control crew mentioned in my previous post reside in this aquarium.
B4D7AC03-D5F1-4ADD-ABD8-2055AB204DBB.jpeg

Here is a picture of that same tank taken a moment ago. Nice and clean with no effort or fretting on my part.
BF2BB1D1-01CD-48DB-8B10-DCC6087924A6.jpeg

I don’t have any other examples of my other tanks to show before/afters.

While I love ancistrus they do create a lot of waste, and like I said, they stop eating algae after a short while. They can live a long time too. In my opinion they are not the best choice for a cleanup crew.

The #1 choice for algae cleanup in my opinion is the snail. Bladder snails and ramshorn snails.

I’ve also never seen any algae at all in my shrimp tank either. I’m sure they would do a great job for you as well, providing they don’t become snacks for your fish.

Good luck in achieving the desired outcome for your aquarium.

Since it's only 20g and already fairly well stocked, even one bristlenose would increase the bioload a lot, and there definitely isn't room for two of them.

I'd also go with snails, but mainly, that tank is super open, which tends to make fish feel exposed, as well as increasing your algae problem. I'd put a background on the back of the tank, and the side closest to the window to block out the worst of the daylight, add live plants- especially floaters, and accept that having the tank in that spot is going to mean cleaning the algae off during each weekly water change. Tanks aren't meant to be spotless with brilliant while gravel anyway, it's not the nature of fishkeeping! Mulm, algae and gross filters are all a part of it really.

Are SAE good with green algae? Also, my substrate is not really smooth, hope it wont harm SAE.
Else I can try ancistrus.

Siamese Algae Eater is a shoaling/schooling species so it needs a groupof several. It grows to 5inches. Sometimes it can be feisty. Regardless, there is not sufficient space in a 20g for this species.

Acquiring any fish for the sole purpose of possibly solving an issue is never advisable. Each species has specific needs that must be provided for if it is to be in good health.

Since it's only 20g and already fairly well stocked, even one bristlenose would increase the bioload a lot, and there definitely isn't room for two of them.

I'd also go with snails, but mainly, that tank is super open, which tends to make fish feel exposed, as well as increasing your algae problem. I'd put a background on the back of the tank, and the side closest to the window to block out the worst of the daylight, add live plants- especially floaters, and accept that having the tank in that spot is going to mean cleaning the algae off during each weekly water change. Tanks aren't meant to be spotless with brilliant while gravel anyway, it's not the nature of fishkeeping! Mulm, algae and gross filters are all a part of it really.
Doesn't a bristlenose need at least a 30 gallon?

Doesn't a bristlenose need at least a 30 gallon?

I've heard of people keeping one in a 20g... I wouldn't personally, just because of the size they can reach, a 20g would be pushing it, let alone the bioload. But I'm far from a pleco expert, I have my two juvenile L181 plecs in a 57g.

Most reactions

Back