Where To Place Carbon In My Sump

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

britt

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
i addopted a new tank its 85g with a 20g sump it smells bad so i added carbon to a bag near the return pump but where should i put it to maximize effect?

the smell can be the sump sitting with water in it... you can tank aquarium water, not tap. to rinse out all of the poop etc.. which will tank the smell away... cleaning the filter.

then if you choose to add the carbon, add it to the top, where the exit point is where the "clean" water goes into the tank.

the thing with carbon is that you don't need it IMO, just need to clean the filter. b/c when treating fish some something the carbon takes away the med affects, and i just find carbon a waste.. but to each their own.. if the cleaning does not help the smell, then add it in.

*** it also depends if you have a fresh or salt tank.. if it is fresh do what i wrote.. if it is salt then i believe you need a good protein skimmer to reduce all that "stuff".. but don't know much about salt...
ha just saw your post on seahorses... don't know if that relates or not

Near the return pump is probably a good place for a bag of carbon. You want it in an area of high flow to get the most rapid effect. Are you curing rock or something similar that would be an obvious cause for the smell? 

its salt ive had tanks before and yes curing some rock but the problem was it was empty when I got it and hadn't been cleaned so I cleaned it and added a bag of carbon skimmer is off until everything is cycled

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back