Where Should I Position My 'wavemaker'?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

cheers Andy, that does help.

by positioning the outlets at different heights I hoped I wouldn't have the flow 'colide', it's worked to some extent but the dead spots are rather large.

Yeah, that's why I was struggling with a solution too :/ are you able to put your outlets on the same side?

I struggled with this quite a bit, and found that no matter what I do the flow is always better when either :

1: Have my inlet and outlet are on the same side of the tank or
2: I have the spray bars evenly spaced on the back wall.

The 2nd gave me the most uniform flow but it was ugly and all my fish stayed in the back because it was TOO good.

I'm now using the 1st option.

cheers Andy, that does help.by positioning the outlets at different heights I hoped I wouldn't have the flow 'colide', it's worked to some extent but the dead spots are rather large.

Glad its helped. I have the added problem of the huge piece of bogwood in my tank, which further disrupts my flow, but even before this was the only way I could get things to work. You could miss the spray bars as they are ugly but I think it helps.
The current set-up means the outlet is pushing along the surface, it reaches the opposite corner at which point the flow is 'pulled' down by the wavemaker and pushed along the bottom to the opposite bottom corner (My CO2 bubbles actually hit the corner of the tank at the opposite side to the koralia). The inlets pull it up along with the dispersion of water by the spray bars / outlet.

This must work because all my plants have kept their lower leaves even with the bogwood slowing things considerably.
Any collision of flow is going to slow things down considerably. You are essentially wasting kinetic energy, with a planted tank you want to savour every bit you get.
I'm using a 1000lph and 1500lph external along with a 2600lph Koralia.

I struggled with this quite a bit, and found that no matter what I do the flow is always better when either :1: Have my inlet and outlet are on the same side of the tank or2: I have the spray bars evenly spaced on the back wall.The 2nd gave me the most uniform flow but it was ugly and all my fish stayed in the back because it was TOO good.I'm now using the 1st option.

I made a full length spraybar from a piece of pipe and tried it all the way along the back with an outlet in each end, it works a charm and is by far the best option for functionality but you will never see your fish and it looks horrible. :lol:

If I was you looking at your layout, I'd put both externals on the right (with or without spray bars, if without spaced evenly along the width) then the wave maker on the left. The reason for this is 1) your externals will be fairly hidden and 2) if you put your wave maker on the right I guarantee it would suck the plants in (mine loves to eat vallis)

Just finished 2.5hrs of tank maintenance that included adding the wavemaker. I think I've managed to create a circular flow around the tank but blimey it looks like a serious current in there now.....fish not happy with at the moment!

I'll see how they behave tomorrow but I think positioning it along the front wall might be a mistake. All 6 angels are hiding underneath it. Some time to adjust might be all they need.

one comment: nice tank
good.gif

just thought i'd mention it, as nobody else has
rolleyes.gif

Just finished 2.5hrs of tank maintenance that included adding the wavemaker. I think I've managed to create a circular flow around the tank but blimey it looks like a serious current in there now.....fish not happy with at the moment!

I'll see how they behave tomorrow but I think positioning it along the front wall might be a mistake. All 6 angels are hiding underneath it. Some time to adjust might be all they need.

This is my struggle. To have enough flow for my plants, the angelfish always hid. I got rid of the water pumps that were rated for my tanks and just use a nano one now. Some of my plants don't sway but I haven't seen algae issues yet.

Maybe yours will get used to it. good luck!

well that experiment failed. The 3000lph output is too much. Creates a whirlpool effect and the angels struggle to swim anywhere other than directly underneath the powerhead.

On the plus side, my sand has never been so clean!

....will look for a 1500lph instead.

Koralia do a nano verion that pumps 1600...i have used these in smaller tanks than yours and they work a treat. The pump itself is only about 4" long as well.

Koralia do a nano verion that pumps 1600...i have used these in smaller tanks than yours and they work a treat. The pump itself is only about 4" long as well.

yup, that's about the only one I can find with that sort of output. Was happy to pay a tenner for the cheap and cheerful one, but not fancying the price of Koralia's.

Is there any way you can reduce the flow on yours? I added a pair of tights over the intake on mine before it grew to lower the output, depending which power head you bought it could be an option?

I've got angels, they like slow moving water due to their shape. They keep well away from it in my tank as it blows them around.

Is there any way you can reduce the flow on yours? I added a pair of tights over the intake on mine before it grew to lower the output, depending which power head you bought it could be an option?

it's not an option for this type of powerhead, it doesn't really have a specific inlet area as such.

Ah shame, I stuck the end of a stocking over the whole koralia when I first got it.
Which one did you go for?

this is the one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AQUARIUM-MARINE-FISH-TANK-POWER-HEAD-WAVE-MAKER-3000L-H-/330736582210?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item4d016fbe42

Most reactions

Back