where are the bodies???

spennylane

Reaction score
I added 3 flying fox and 5 zebra danio's to my tank on Wednesday - already had 2 x platy and 1 x danio. I appreciate this was too many at one time in a new tank set up. 1 x danio had died by the thursday morning - I had expected this as it was a very small sickly looking fish - I removed his body. Thursday night another danio was very close to death, but all of the others were fine. This morning (Friday) there are only 3 danio swiming around - I have hunted extensively for the 2 missing fish - but cannot find them. Is it possible that any of the others have eaten them? I didn't think any of the fish I had were likely to do that?? Please advise. :-(

Sorry to hear about your losses :-( It's always sad to lose a fish. It's very likely that they were eaten, however there are other possibilities too. Last summer I was getting ready to leave for work one morning and said 'good-bye' to my fishies :*) doing a quick count as is always my habit to do. One of my female platies was missing!! I freaked out!! Did a search around the tank for the body, couldn't see her. Checked around the floor and shelves outside the tank in case she escaped, didn't see. Started shaking all the decorations in case she was hiding.. couldn't find her!! I was so upset that was over 30 mins late for work!

That night she was still missing so I assumed she was dead :byebye: The next afternoon I was watching tv, happened to glance over and THERE SHE WAS!!! To this day I have no idea where she was hiding. :eek:

You did add alot of fish all one time, and as they try to sort out pecking order, territories etc, it is possible that one got stressed and went into hiding. In the meantime, check the decorations and hiding places, the filter, the floor around the outside etc.

Good luck! Hope they're alive and well!!!

I was cleaning out my filter (its one of the internal Juwel ones) - I removed the output spout and lifted out the cages inside - removed the powerhead as well.
Put it all back together again and went off. Following day I was looking at my fish and noticed one was missing - hunted high and low for a dead body and couldnt find it but was sure I'd seen it the previous day. Couldnt find it so put it down to it had died and been eaten (my fish are cichlids with a few dithers).

3 days later I decided to change the filter wool and so lifted the lid on the filter only to find the missing fish looking up at me. Wierd but tru - it must have swum trhough the hole where the outlet spout goes and I hadnt noticed it when putting the filter back together.

Hunt roudn for it it may be hiding

thanks for the replies - 1 of the danio's did the hiding trick yesterday morning - only to reappear - so I'm hoping it will have done that again!! The other one is undoubtably dead! I will however search the filter tonight - what an awful thought, a fish being in there!!

Hope you find it....

On a lighter side......Have you watched 'Finding nemo' ? Maybe you have one of the actors from there :)

I have had dead fish disappear like this many times. This is especially common in tanks with loaches.

I had a small fish go into the filter housing in my Juwel, I did not know. The water got worse and I was using filter aid. It was awful, I lost 8 fish. When I do a water change I wear one of those lights that strap to your head so I can see down to the bottom and make sure it doesn't happen again. I look really stupid but it's worth it. :)

Most reactions

Back