Where are all the fire belly toads?

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I've been looking for a fire belly toad (B. orientalis) for my paludarium. They used to be all over the place, but nobody has them in stock anymore, and the pet store seems to have quit carrying them. The web sites that show them out of stock have the prices for $30 or more. It's weird. Anybody know what happened?

Last edited:
1681389048901.jpeg

Haven't seen any around for years, my 3 are appx 5 years old, last one I got was from an exotic petshop a few miles from me years ago, but at the regular big box petstores, they don’t have for some reason.

View attachment 315796
Haven't seen any around for years, my 3 are appx 5 years old, last one I got was from an exotic petshop a few miles from me years ago, but at the regular big box petstores, they don’t have for some reason.
Dang, those are so cute! I hope I can find one at some point.

How much land area do yours have?

10 gallon tank, 1/3 filled with water. Rocks piled up on one end totally covered with java moss. The other end has a Tetra rock waterfall with moss on it so yes, the water is filtered. The falls are nice, small pump and slide in filter cartridges..

I can remember the past time also in Berlin, it has been a while since Bombina orientalis had been imported in spades, the other ones from China which were available everywhere was Pachytriton labiatus, a beautifull newt, and I suppose in China now they have reached the limit where the scenery is almost empty of these batrachians, in any case the regulation of the international trade of such wild living animals has become much more severe, now you apparently can get some bred in captivity online (in Germany) for 50 to 80, even 100 euro, but they seem to be old offers, they were also offered as "second hand" somewhere for 7,99 € but looks not serious, going to these sources will bring only problems into your life, I'm sorry but I fear it will be very very difficult to find something of this kind nowadays.

If you can get to a Reptile Show/Expo you might find a breeder selling some (amphibians are often sold there). For instance, in Columbus we have the Ohio Reptile Show once a month & there are lots of breeders with atypical animals (such as sugar gliders, baby skunks & lots of various reptiles and amphibians).

I don't remember if I saw any fire belly toads last time I went (about a year ago).

If you can get to a Reptile Show/Expo you might find a breeder selling some (amphibians are often sold there). For instance, in Columbus we have the Ohio Reptile Show once a month & there are lots of breeders with atypical animals (such as sugar gliders, baby skunks & lots of various reptiles and amphibians).

I don't remember if I saw any fire belly toads last time I went (about a year ago).
Yeah, around here a Reptile Expo would mean going out in the desert and catching some snakes. ha ha

That seems to be the case everywhere, and no one seems to know why. They used to be basically the goldfish of the amphibian world. Now, nothing.

I wonder if it could be environmental damage caused by humans lowering the population if the critters are normally wild caught...
Yeah, I've wondered that too. I used to hear of private breeders all the time, though.

Here's a $100 albino FBT: EDIT: It's actually Bombina variegata. Sorry.

https://www.backwaterreptiles.com/toads/fire-bellied-toad-for-sale.html
I saw that one. I don't know why anybody would breed an albino variety of a critter that looks so amazing naturally, let along pay $100 for one.

Well, maybe one will turn up eventually. Or maybe it just isn't meant to be...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back