When to move the Fry to a smaller separate fish tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ckitefly

Reaction score
My Platy gave birth Friday and was able to save 2. They are in a breeder box now but it's hard to see them and make sure they are good and eating since so small. I have a 1 gallon tank with a filter on it and was wondering if I should move them to it or leave them in the breeder box in the big tank? Asking because that one has the heater and I just read that they will grow and stay healthy with a certain water temp. What is that temp? I have a heater on my big tank they are in now so wondering if I need to increase the temp but then doing that, will hurt my other fish? I have Goldfish, Tetra, 1 small Molly and my mom and dad Platy.
Also, can I possibly have more Fry survivors but hiding since I have a 36 gallon tank and three caves plus my rocks are a tan brown color where they can blend?

Hi there.
Firstly saving your fry should be currently the least of your worries leave them where they are for now as there are some major issues with your tank.

Firstly is your tank cycled.?
Secondly the types of fish you have in there require different parameters (water hardness. Ph. Temperature etc) so in giving one of the species these the others well being would be compromised. Please refer to other parts of the forum to find the specific requirements for each species. If possible return them to the pet shop.

I don't mean to be rude but we as a forum care very much about the well being of fish in general so we only want the best for them and I'm sure you do as well. [emoji226]

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

leave the babies in the main tank.

keep the temperature at whatever it was when they were born. 24-28C is optimum for the baby fish.
goldfish will be fine at 24C and will tolerate 28C for a few months but need a cool period if kept at higher temperatures.

yes there could be other fry hiding in the tank.

keep the temperature at whatever it was when they were born. 24-28C is optimum for the baby fish.
goldfish will be fine at 24C and will tolerate 28C for a few months but need a cool period if kept at higher temperatures.

yes there could be other fry hiding in the tank.
Thanks for the response. I will leave the breeder box in the tank as is. I actually found two more fry last night hanging out between the breeder box and glass. A lot seems to happen once the lights go out. Was able to get one fry into the breeder box but the other went down to hide in the fake plants. I hope to find it and save it from the other fish or it getting sucked into the filter. Fingers crossed.

i never move fry or eggs, leave them put....

egg layers.....i move the parents out of the tank and leave the eggs alone

livebearers.....put in seperate tank alone, after they give birth remove the mother and leave fry by themselves
I have the fry in a breeder box sitting inside the big tank so they are separate from other fish. Found two more fry last night hanging out by the breeder box but could only catch one. Hope the other one stays hidden until I can capture it. They are quick and small little suckers.

Hi there.
Firstly saving your fry should be currently the least of your worries leave them where they are for now as there are some major issues with your tank.

Secondly the types of fish you have in there require different parameters (water hardness. Ph. Temperature etc) so in giving one of the species these the others well being would be compromised. Please refer to other parts of the forum to find the specific requirements for each species. If possible return them to the pet shop.

I don't mean to be rude but we as a forum care very much about the well being of fish in general so we only want the best for them and I'm sure you do as well. [emoji226]

Thanks for the response. I joined this forum for help because I see a lot of great advise given and everyone seems serious of the well being of fish and why asked my questions.

My tank is in great shape with water levels. I test is regularly to make sure. I also do a lot of research and ask questions like I did on this forum to get assistants but all and all, I have been doing pretty good with my first 36 gallon tank. All the fish I have pretty much require the same water temp and all are healthy and thriving.

My fry are in a breeder box and seem to be doing great. Just found two more outside the breeder box hanging out knocking to get in. I got one but the other was too quick for me to catch. Hope to get it today. If not, it seems smart to hide in the fake plants as it has been surviving that way for 5 days now without being dinner to one of the other fish. Thanks again.

Yes there could be other fry hiding in the tank.

You are right! Found two more last night hanging out right on the outside of the breeder box and glass. Got one in the box but other was too quick. Hope to get it tonight. I have a lot of hiding places (plants, caves and a ship) so maybe I won't know exactly how many I have until I have a ton of little fish swimming around soon. They are so dang small. Thanks for the response.

Hi there.

Out of curiosity, how would you know I have major issues with my tank based on me asking a question on moving my fry or not from the breeder box?

I'm really glad you asked. And it basically boils down to the fact that there are the wrong selection of fish in the tank. So the tolerances for some of the fish will always be out. Take for example the gold fish like much colder water than most tetra. So. In by compensating for the temperature for the tetra. The gold fish would become stressed and prone to disease and infectious and thus shortening there life span. And vice versa.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back