When can I turn my lights on again?

rebe

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi all!
Earlier today my first fish arrived! I ordered 15 Hengeli rasboras and 1 was dead on arrival.
They've been settling into the tank nicely and have already gained a lot of their colour. I want to gradually turn my lights on for my plants, so they can eat up the ammonia as the fish produce it. I also want to be able to have a good look and make sure the remaining 14 are all alive and well, and check for anything I might have missed when adding them to the tank. I can also take nice pictures once they're on! The reflections of the room ruin any I take.

They've been in the tank for just over two hours and they seem happy and active to me. Is it too soon to turn the lights on? (Gradually as I mentioned.)

Thank you :fish:

Yes, switch it on. The only reason for switching it off is so as not to blind /dazzle the fish, as planted tank lights are usually brighter than the fish like. Fish should be added with the room light on (and the tank light if it’s not too bright) so they have enough light to see. First thing the fish need to do is suss out if the tank is safe. They need lights on for this, so switch them on soon after the fish are in. Only nocturnal fish should be added in the dark.

Yes, switch it on. The only reason for switching it off is so as not to blind /dazzle the fish, as planted tank lights are usually brighter than the fish like. Fish should be added with the room light on (and the tank light if it’s not too bright) so they have enough light to see. First thing the fish need to do is suss out if the tank is safe. They need lights on for this, so switch them on soon after the fish are in. Only nocturnal fish should be added in the dark.
Thank you! Light's on now, and that's great to know :)

Rebe, I just wanted to ask the forum, do plants only consume ammonia during photosynthesises or just mostly do so during photosynthesis or do it equally during light times and overnight.

Rebe, I just wanted to ask the forum, do plants only consume ammonia during photosynthesises or just mostly do so during photosynthesis or do it equally during light times and overnight.

Ammonia/ammonium uptake by plants is continual, 24/7, day and night. They will rapidly remove all ammonia occurring from natural processes, unless there is something seriously wrong with the biological system. But taking any aquarium with a decent planting, there simplay cannot be too many fish producing ammonia that the plants cannot handle. Again, we are not talking the way overstocked and unmaintained tank. Floating plants have been termed ammonia sinks because of the incredible amount of ammonia they will rapidly take up.

Ammonia diffuses freely across the cell membranes of all organisms (animals, plants, bacteria, fish) while ammonium does not. NH3 is a gas that diffuses freely. Plants rapidly detoxify ammonia. As NH3 enters the cell by simple diffusion across the membrane, it may combine with a hydrogen ion and convert to non-toxic ammonium (NH4+). This NH4+ can be stored in cell vacuoles. In one study, Nitella clavata were found to contain over 2,400 mg/l [= ppm] of NH4+. Another method plants use to detoxify ammonia is to immediately use the ammonia to syntheize proteins. Toxic NH3 is combined with stored carbohydrates to form ordinary amino acids.

And plants take up the ammonia faster than the nitrifying bacteria, which helps keep nitrite and nitrate much lower.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back