Whats Wrong With My Plants?

Sammy1911

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've had a variety of plants growing in my tank for about 6 months but they have started to go yellow/brown, develope dark green spots, disintegrate and generally look bad. I do trim the nasty bits off but for the purpose of the photos I left a few in place to show you. Here's my tank stats:

P.H. 8-8.2
GH 16
KH 3
Pea gravel base
2 x 30w daylight lamps on for 5-6 hours a day
Water changes - 40% weekly with seachem prime
Plant food - seachem florish once a week with water change

Any ideas on how I save my plants and make them look beautiful again??

DSC02281.jpg

DSC02282.jpg

Whilst I'm asking questions, can anyone tell me what this plant is please (on the left, it's got a runner and keeps giving little plants but again the leaves have hints of brown that don't simply wipe off... :hey: )
DSC02231.jpg

I'm no expert but you do have two non aquatic plants in there that I can see, they will rot down and cause problems, the first one is in picture 2 and is the one on the left the green and white one I think its a relative of the house plant the spider plant, in the last picture its the red one on the right.

I'm no expert but you do have two non aquatic plants in there that I can see, they will rot down and cause problems, the first one is in picture 2 and is the one on the left the green and white one I think its a relative of the house plant the spider plant, in the last picture its the red one on the right.
well that's bad i got those plants for my lfs!! Funnily enuf i lost one of the red ones but the other red i've got left is rooting admittedly, i did cut the rotten end off last week... It's the vallis, swords and my unknown plant in the 3rd pic i'm more concerned with really. If i lose these i really dont know wot i cud put in my tank

A lot of shops sell those type of plants and to be honest with you I don't know how they get away with it, I'm not sure what that plant is I thought it looked like a type of amazon sword but I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me can help you out.

Yeah, my LFS has a bunch of "semi-aquatic" plants. I assume they are intended to go into a reptile, amphibian or crab tank. But, the ratio of aquatic to semi-aquatic seems way out of whack to me, at least 3:1. :dunno:

The green spots are a very hard to remove algea. This algea likes high light. It's pretty east to keep under control by removing old leaves that have it on them and scrapeing it off glass. It tends to effect older leaves.

As for plants going brown could be due to lack of Iron. Pants need iron for good leaf growth. Looks like you have a sword plant in there and they are heavy root feeders so it would not hurt to add some root tabs for it. Depending on then light you have and plant growth you might want to add the flourish 2 Times a week. The higher the light the faster the growth and the faster the growth the more ferts they use up.

Yes I see 2 non aquatic plants. The one with the white edge leafs. The other with the reddish leafs also looks non aquatic.

If you're changing that much of your water once per week, you need to be adding CO2 and nutrient containing Nitrate and Phosphates.
The yellowing leaves will probably be a lack of N&P - The disintegrating leaves lack of CO2

More or less what I thought tbh (I will get out the non-aquatic plants and find pots for them!) I don't know enough about Co2 systems so I will try the iron tabs and increasing the florish to start with and see how it progresses from there :good: I really love my tanks but don't have much spare time with my two boys 3 yr old & 32 yr old :lol:

The green and white one is a dracena, can eb rather beautiful once potted aswell :)

I have that plant you want to know about, the best ive come up with on google is a sort of dwarf amazon sword but no specific names :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back