What’s the stringy stuff coming out of my pregnant guppy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bking426

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I took these pics before I read not to use these boxes. I’m going to use my cycled ten gallon without a box. But what was this? Is labor starting soon? Worms?
IMG_1855.jpg
6657649dd1db51bc753f37954fb0bd05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably just poop [emoji23]

Ugh. Lol. Can you make an educated guess how far along she is?

Is this her first pregnancy? If so she could be close. If not, maybe a week longer?

poop, and she's not that fat.

Livebearers carry young for about 1 month before giving birth. She could be 2 weeks in or 4 weeks depending on how many babies are developing inside her.

Make sure you have lots of plants in the tank and don't handle her or lift her out of water when she is pregnant. If you have to move pregnant fish chase them into a bucket and lift them out in some water. Don't keep her in the breeding trap either because it stresses them and they are more likely to give birth prematurely or eat the babies.

Get some Water Sprite plants (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) and let it grow on the surface. When you see babies scoop them out with a plastic container and put them in a breeding net or spare tank. If there are only guppies in the tank and the adults are well fed, the babies can usually be left in the main tank with the adults.

It’s her first pregnancy. She’s back in the tank. I’ll definitely looks for some better plants.

Livebearers actually carry 28 days, some a little less, so watch her closely if you want the fry. I’d suggest you read up on making a baby brine shrimp hatchery and order some San Francisco Bay brine shrimp eggs to hatch. It’s very easy and the fry will grow much faster than on dry fry food. Hikari First Bites are very good fry food to supplement with but fry tend to eat live food better. If I could make a hatchery, anyone can. Just a water bottle, air pump and tubing, and a desk lamp.

Last edited:
Well she’s in labor! For four hours now. No fry yet. Definitely can see under the gravid spot where she’s pushing one out. Or rather her body is getting ready. I watched several YouTube videos. My question is for first time labor what’s the average of contracting until the first fry pops out? I’m just hoping this is normal.

San Francisco Bay brine shrimp eggs to hatch.
Quality eggs are important, so is the way you handle them.
A tightly sealed container, Free of moisture, in a cool environment at or below 50°F. (Refrigeration is ideal for short term storage, i.e., less than three to four weeks; for longer term storage, eggs are best kept at or below freezing.)
https://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/about-us/articles/hatching-brine-shrimp-cysts/

If I could make a hatchery, anyone can. Just a water bottle, air pump and tubing, and a desk lamp.
DIY - Brine Shrimp Hatchery - Super easy to build

It’s a guppy!!

Congrats you now have a bigger problem than before, under, If you feed the babies in less than 5 months you will have more guppies than your tank can handle, Guppies are also known as million fish, you start with a male and 3 females and within 6 months you have a million of them.

Well thanks for an answer that borders on negative. I already know everything about guppies and I know how often they breed. I’ve done my research beforehand. I was just asking about labor specifics.

I honestly have never been lucky enough to catch the births. I just find them in the plants. I wish I could tell you more on that question. Keep us posted and good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back