What's The Best Velvet Med? Need Some And Quick!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Loobie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm going out shortly, because in addition to everything else going on in my tank, I don't think my fish water has a general bacteria in which I have treated with Interpet Liquisil, I think they have velvet. I'm only going on the description I have read.

Some on my harelquins seem to have a dusting as if they had swam through an icing cloud, don't seem as bright as the others, and my panda corys seem to have a gold like sheen in patches near there gills. So I'm wanting to treat them for velvet, but unsure which one is the best one to get.

Is it best to get one specifically for velvet or can you get them for velvet/and something else??

Advice would really be helpful, please

i think interpet do one that would do the job

Aswell as curing this, you need to find out why they got it.....

In my experience a poorly functioning filter combined with a temperature drop can often bring it on

make sure your tank is not getting cold, now winter draws in

It could be my filter, the tank isn't getting cold, it's at a stable 26 degrees.

I've been out and bought some King British Velvet medicine. I've also seem some Meth Blue, which seems to treat alot more ailments, and because I am assuming that it's velvet but could be something else, would I be better to treat with meth blue??

The only thing is I'm unsure if it's ok to use with my fish as I have:
3 Panda Corys
5 Neons
5 Harlequins
2 Guppies
1 Platy

What advice would you give me in using meth blue???

Could anyone offer any advice as I about to either kill my tank off or make them all better, I'd prefer it to be the latter but would like some support that I'm doing the right thing!!

Please???

DUDE!!!! Don't kill the fish! Just treat them. Do a bit of QUICK homework on each product to see if it's harmfull to your corys and whatnot, then use the one YOU or YOUR VET thinks is BEST!

the best treatment is a copper based medication (note; will kill any snails, shrimp etc). I have had sucess with waterlife cuprazin, which is a copper based med aimed at the marine side of fish keeping. just follow the dosage on the bottle.

the other important thing with treating for velvet is light,
the parasite is stronger in light, so during treatment a total blackout will help speed things along.
I wrap the tank in a heavy blanket or duvet, ensuring there are no chinks for light to get in, obviously turn off the tank lights too.

this should be kept in a dark room as well, so curtains drawn at all times.
no peeking, no feeding. the only time you should access the tank is to add more medication.
the blackout should be for the first 3 days of treatment and the following two days (if using cuprazin) should be unwrapped but with tank lights off.

HTH

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back