Whats a good tankmate for Discus?

G_Sharky

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I currently have Juvenille Discus and was wondering what else could I put in my tank that would serve as a good scavenger for uneaten food. I was thinking about getting more corys but I saw some Apistogramma Nijjseni or panda dwarf cichlid which looks awesome and wouldn't grow to big to over thrown the Discus. I was wondering if any Apistogramma species or any corys that would stand and be comfortable with high temp around 30 C/86 F..

Apistos would be ok at that temp (although some species like it a bit cooler than that), but they are not scavengers, and need to be fed properly and carefully. Much the same as your Discus as far as I can tell.

They are very fussy about their food, and some of mine won;t even touch flake. If it isn't swimming, it isn't food!

HTH
Ian.

Yes, they have important needs too.
Some species are great tank mates, A. Bitaeniata, A Nijsseni, A. Gibbiceps would all do well at the high temps. Dicrossus Filementosa are really nice too if you can find them.

Cory's may not take the heat too well, although a lot of people keep them with Discus.

Ken

I keep Rams with my Discus...though I was growing out some babies in the tank and found that as they got bigger and more active, the Discus hid more....I traded the Rams for store credit at an lfs, kept one pair and now the Discus are out all of the time....so, I think the most important thing to consider when choosing a tank mate, is how active they are....I had to remove a school of rummy nose tetras a while back for the same reason....

However, having said that...the other night I went to the lfs to use up my store credit....and fell in love with a gymnogeophagus rhabdotus....it is absolutely beautiful....so colorful...with such a cartoonish little face...I asked the owner and he said that it would be risky putting him in the tank for the reason I stated above- he's kind of a hyper little fish....cleaning the plants, eating (cleaning) the rocks, eating stuff from the side of the tank, etc....but, being the stubborn person that I am, I bought him anyway...... ;)
I brought him home and at first, I think my Discus were completely irritated with him (and me ;) )...when the Discus swam to the back, he swam to the back...if they went up he went up....they couldn't escape him...he is like a little excited puppy....but now the three of them are always swimming together.....it's really pretty funny!
So, moral to the story.......yes, there was a point to all of that... :blink: ....there are exceptions to every rule....some fish will work that aren't supposed to and some some won't that should....

I think I might get a pair of Apisto Nijsseni this weekend hopefully they won't be agressive towards the Discus and out eat them since my Discus are slow eaters, I'll try it. BTW i don't have a quarantine tank, but Ive been checking out the Apisto for 3 weeks now on my LFS and they look like on top shape, Just wondering if they carry any bacteria or some kind of disease that they are immune at but deadly to the Discus...

Most reactions

Back