What type of rainbow fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

joem6376

Reaction score
So I bought some fish from the LFS and the tank just said assorted rainbow fish. I've been trying to look up what these are but I'm having no luck, I'm hoping someone here will know what they are, any help will be appreciated thank you!
I thought one was a boesemani but mixed with something else
209279e009298ab7d95df12945e22cf4.jpg
7034ff1b0a3c6ecf4f056e600dde2258.jpg

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

"Assorted" rainbows could well mean that they were a mixture of several species that were left over individuals from other tanks and the ones you have are all different species. I do wish shops would not do this for shoaling fish that need to be in a group of at least 6 to 8 of the same species.

I m afraid I don't know what species they are, so you may want to browse the photos in the various profiles here to see if you can ID your fish http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/search/rainbowfish
Rainbows are shoaling fish and you need at least 6 of the same species but I can't even tell if the two in the photos are the same. If they are actually the same species, I would suggest the one in the top photo is a male, and the one in the bottom photo is a female, or possibly a very stressed male.

But I do need to say that rainbows are active fish which will stress out your betta (and bettas are not community fish and should be kept alone)

Your tank does look a nice, well planted set up :)

Thank you for the help, i will look on the link you sent to see if i can find what they are. My fish store does it all the time and it drives me insane, just put a 'mixed' label on the tank.
Thankfully my Betta is pretty chilled and doesn't seem too stressed at the moment, just keeps himself to himself

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

I think you are right its a Boesmans Rainbow, top is a male, bottom is female. They do get quite big, but are slow growing. What size tank are they in? If you managed to get a bigger group I think if they started schooling it would be too much for the Betta,

If you have a large tank - you would ideally want these in a 4 foot, 55g minimum I would up their school of 8 or more and move the Betta to his own small tank if thats doable. If the tank is smaller than that I would perhaps consider taking the Rainbows back.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back