What Type Of Plant Sucks Up Green Water?

The local group here started and tried this method. Seems to work.
But most folks use a UV etc or some type of very fine micro filter.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Do the branches need to stick out the top, or can they be totally under water?
Also... will they eventually grow into a big tree? What would they look like if left in the tank long term?

how do i work with them? i've got them now...do i just stick them in my tank? or do i like float them on top? or do i plant them somehow??? what do i do??

The bark of willow contains salicin, which is a chemical similar to aspirin.

Dont see how thats gona get rid of green water though????

A blackout works though, and or UV light. Rea te stickied algae thread at top of page for good advice.

GL

Max

i tried the blackout for 4 days..didn't work AT all..no difference what so ever, and i don't have the money for UV sterilisers yet, so it's up to the willow branches. i just plopped them in the tank, half of it is floating though the roots are on the bottom though.

for people without planted tanks they should get a refugium and use that willow branch since that site says it sucks up nutrients much faster than plants.

I don't really see why a refugium would be used, unless they used that to put planting substrate in and planted the willows properly. However, seeing as it's just being used to get rid of green water, a temporary endeavor, I don't really think its necessary.
Refugiums are basically... tanks or containers used in conjunction with the tank, but are divided from it. Sometimes I'll see them in my LFS as those critter keepers that are sunken into the water holding something like a crayfish, that might hurt the fish inside the tank otherwise. Or like a breeding net, sort of. Not very good examples, heh. ^^"

Most reactions

Back