What type of lighting?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SnailPocalypse

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I went to lowes yesterday and got a 13 watt,800 lumens,and 5000 kelvins.
Im using it on a 5 gallon what type of lighting would this be?(Low,Medium or High?)
Also its a planted tank

What size tank ? We could estimate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

My guess is high med to low high. Gonna be some par there I would think.

Sorry I missed the 5g in original post.
Id prefer at least 6000k.

These bulbs are not doing very good in my 10g.... the leds in my stock hood are doing much better, even got some color on the ludwigia.

You gotta remember though thats a bigger tank than my small 5 gallon
It says CFL thats flourescent right?

I'm thinking it's too much, the leafs on the wisteria didn't get wide like they do in low light, they got real narrow and small then turned kinda yellow, the leave on the ludwigia are half the size than those in my other tanks.

20170105_200944.jpg
20161229_151233.jpg
the ludwigia in the top pic has been there for a while.

The red one in the other pic is a clipping out of my new ten with the stock leds.

Looking at a graph on another forum, a 15 wat light 15" high will give you around 100 par

My best tank is under 30 par

Attachments

• 20161226_192852.jpg
    20161226_192852.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 99
Without a par meter it would be hard to know for sure. You dont need alot of light for 5.5g. 6000k and up to 7500k would be better. My guess is your around 60 at substrate. Obviously considerably higher at the top.

I like Toney comment. While par is important. There many ways to build your tank. Lower light tanks do have advantages. I have a par meter and similar to Toney im at 35 at substrate 50 near surface.

Last edited:
Its shallow. Look at a 10g how little light you need. A lot of people run into algae farm in a 5.5 if your not careful.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back