what to feed an anenome?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

What kind of anemone will you be getting? Lighting is all important. Most require specific lighting setups. ;)

if it is a malu or carpet etc, then they should take a piece of fish.

You have to hand feed anemone's at least every 2- 3 days, and lighting is very important. they need very bright light to live and they need a mature tank at least 6 months or more. because they sift things out of the water to eat. also make sure you get the kind of anemone you want if you want the kind that clown fish live and breed in you dont want to get a condy anemone. they are the cheepest but clown fish dont live in them. and it is recomended that you only have one anemone per tank. personaly i have 3 and havent had any problems but they can kill each other and if they feel threatened they can release toxins into the water and kill your other fish. i have mine in a 125gl tank. Oh and if you plan on having coral in your marine tank be carefull because anemones will sting and kill coral. i hope this has helped you a little

30 gallons is a bit small. If you can, try for at least 40 or 50 (bigger tanks mean more stable tanks). And as others have said, the lighting is VERY important. The tank will also need vigorous filtration and circulation. A good suggestion is 1-2 pounds of live rock per gallon of tank capacity. A good rule of thumb for filtration is that you want to be able to turn over your entire volume at least 5-10 times per hour.

If this is your first marine tank, I'd suggest not adding coral or invertebrates just yet and get comfortable with a fish-only system.

Devin

Are you getting clownfish/anemonefish to go with the anemone? If so, you should make sure that the type/species that you get isn't from the Carribean. If it is, it will not be compatible with the clownfish. Be sure that you have a good protein skimmer! If you don't have sufficient lighting, skimming, filters, etc., your anemone will not stand a chance. :X Also, be sure that the anemone you're getting is small enough for 30 gallons.

30 gallons is POSSABLE but difficult in some ways and easy in others. What equipment do you have? (lighting, skimmer etc). you will need to watch that any powerheads have sponges on there strainers to stop the anenomy getting suicked in. (a common problem). also, watch that the same applies to the skimmer feed pump. etc etc.

Most reactions

Back