What to do with old tank

andywg

Bored into leaving
Reaction score
Right, as some may have seen from a couple of my posts around this forum I am gradually moving in on having my new 85 gallon (UK) tank up and running with its 25 or so gallon sump filtration system. :thumbs:

My plan is to gradually move all my fish from my old 35 gallon tank into here (and add some more :D ).

Now my question is, what shall I do with my 4' long tank upstairs in the bedroom. I don't really have the money at the moment to change it to marine :byebye:

I am therefore looking for a little advice on what I could do with it. I don't really want to create another community tank and am looking for something a little detached from what you'll normally find.

So then my aquatic friends, what do you suggest I could do with it? :dunno:

(Answers on a postcard or stamped addressed envelope to...)

Andy

Turn it into a racetrack for your motorised frog and duck and have a race between your friends! :lol:

On the serious side, you could prepare the tank for cycling in whatever habitat you so choose. :)

well, the most obvious option would be to give it to me. :whistle:

seriously though, it would be blasphemy to just leave it empty. you must fill it and quickly. therefore, i would agree with the minion on this, oddball it. definitely wouldn't be your typical community tank. :lol:

How about just putting one fish that gets pretty good size like an Oscar? Something with loads of personality.

Just a thought

Ok, I'm definately leaning towards oddballing it :p

However, I don't want just one fish in it (so that sort of eliminates puffers)

what different groups of fish would ye recommend for 4' x 1' x 15"?

susaneers said:
make a paludarium! half land, half water. i've always wanted one, but never got around to actually doing it. :/

you can have both land animals and fish! plus some reptiles or amphibians. it would be great to look at.
That sounds like an awesom idea :cool:

You could get a spotted turtle (and have the tank set up with land and water), or a mud turtle (all water with a basking area)!! Turtles are fun!!!!!

andywg said:
Ok, I'm definately leaning towards oddballing it :p

However, I don't want just one fish in it (so that sort of eliminates puffers)

what different groups of fish would ye recommend for 4' x 1' x 15"?
:thumbs: nonono u didnt eliminate anything! u can fit quite a few dwarf uppers in there

No matter what you do with it for now, just besure you don't ruin it if you want to someday turn it into a Salt Water tank. But if I had a empty tank that I was lost on what to do I would also turn it half water and half land but this could be a perment switch if not carefull. Better to start SW than try to switch over to it.

Yes! a paludarium! then you could have mudskippers, a seriously oddball fish.

A brackish mangrove biotope paludarium with mudskippers.

Do it!

No oscar for sure, 35 gallons is not enough for one. I would also suggest dwarf puffers, mudskippers, or perheps even anableps anableps (four-eyed fish). Or you could get a black ghost knife or clown knife (awesome fish).

Most reactions

Back