What Time Of Year

Miss Wiggle

Practically perfect in every way
Reaction score
rubbish at gardening, we've got no garden but i have some pots outside my house, determined for them to look nice this year. just keeping it basic with some nice easy bedding plants and hanging baskets with fuschias and lobelia and that sort of thing in

been looking on the internet but struggling to find a good gardening website

i just wanna know what time of year i should plant stuff like this, think it might be soon but i'm not sure?

help please?!

normally you start planting in spring after the last lot of snow or really cold weather. Then they should be able to get growing and settle in.
Pot plants can be planted up anytime but in really cold weather some of them should be brought indoors.

I usually plant potatoes after Good Friday. I start regular plant snad pots in early april. Depends on the weather.

Hi Miss Wiggle. Plants such as Fushias, Busy Lizzies n Lobelia are all frost tender. They should not be put outside untill all the frosts have gone, around the end of May. Loads of the Garden centres sell em now but if you get em you will just be wasting your money. Why not get a spring hanging basket done. Use Panseys, Bellis Daiseys, heathers n Ivy. They will give u colour right up till June time. Then you can swap the plants for the summer bedding stuff. Hope this helps

can i do them now? seems like the warm weather has arrived!

yay, think i'm gonna do them this weekend :D

hi officially its the last bank holiday in may when danger of frost has passed but ive put mine out lol even though i tell clients not to :good:

well I did my 'garden' on Saturday. 2 pots and a hanging basket, took me about half an hr :lol:

got a selecion of alpines in the pots (got special soil for them and stuff) and some trailing lobelia and white fuschias in the hanging basket.

for some bizarre reason the garden centre was shut so we had to go to B&Q for the plants which is a bit rubbish as they were quite dry and some looked bit sorry, but they're looking much better 2 days later for a bit of water and some TLC! :D

The main thing is that you give the plants a really good soaking on their first day, and remember to water them at least once a day (preferably in the evening after the sun has gone down, so that the water doesn't evaporate as much) :good: .

The main thing is that you give the plants a really good soaking on their first day, and remember to water them at least once a day (preferably in the evening after the sun has gone down, so that the water doesn't evaporate as much) :good: .

aye, i soaked them on the day of planting, and i water them when i get home from work so late afternoon/early evening so it's not in the heat of the midday sun at least. :good:

Most reactions

Back