What small fish are suitable for a 45cm cube tank?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Pseudomugil gertrudae, peacock gudgeon (Tateurndina ocellicauda), white cloud mountain minnows?. A small species of gourami (honey, sparkling, licorice).

Brackish is the same as fresh to set up and maintain, you just use some salt in the water. When you use salt for marine or brackish water aquariums, you should mix the salt and water in a bucket 24 hours before you use it. It should be aerated during this time and the salinity checked before use.

Pseudomugil gertrudae, peacock gudgeon (Tateurndina ocellicauda), white cloud mountain minnows?. A small species of gourami (honey, sparkling, licorice).

Brackish is the same as fresh to set up and maintain, you just use some salt in the water. When you use salt for marine or brackish water aquariums, you should mix the salt and water in a bucket 24 hours before you use it. It should be aerated during this time and the salinity checked before use.
I'm talking about brackish fish, as I posted on the brackish forum.

And @Colin_T, have you tried brackish water tanks before?

For a 45cm cube tank, consider small and peaceful fish 🐠 like neon tetras, chili rasboras, and ember tetras. These species thrive in smaller spaces and add vibrant colors to your aquarium. Ensure proper water parameters and provide suitable hiding places for a harmonious environment.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't even look at the section (brackish). I just look at the question/s.

Yeah I have had a few brackish species but most if not all of them got too big for that size tank. Bumblebee gobies and halfbeaks are about the only small fish I can think of that are brackish.

Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis can live in brackish water and actually come from brackish and marine habitats. However, they would do better in a tank that was 2 foot long but an 18 inch cube should be ok for a group of 8-10 of them.

A small Butis butis would be ok in there but not with anything small because they eat things. But they aren't active swimmers and are kind of interesting.

Sorry I didn't even look at the section (brackish). I just look at the question/s.

Yeah I have had a few brackish species but most if not all of them got too big for that size tank. Bumblebee gobies and halfbeaks are about the only small fish I can think of that are brackish.

Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis can live in brackish water and actually come from brackish and marine habitats. However, they would do better in a tank that was 2 foot long but an 18 inch cube should be ok for a group of 8-10 of them.

A small Butis butis would be ok in there but not with anything small because they eat things. But they aren't active swimmers and are kind of interesting.
A brackish biotope would look interesting in a Petworx cube tank. Southeast Asia is home to many mangrove and brackish habitats for bumblebee gobies and some other natives.

For a 45cm cube tank, consider small and peaceful fish 🐠 like neon tetras, chili rasboras, and ember tetras. These species thrive in smaller spaces and add vibrant colors to your aquarium. Ensure proper water parameters and provide suitable hiding places for a harmonious environment.
Welcome to the forum! I posted on the brackish section, not the freshwater section.

Most reactions

Back