What size should my next tank be?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishman04

Reaction score
I currently have a 20 gallon tank that has been running for about 2 months and it has been running very well. I have a black molly, a dubawi catfish, 3 cory catfish, and a baby bristlenose pleco. I am very informed in the world of fish and looking to get a new tank but i am debating the size of the tank. I am thinking a 55 gallon tank for a few ranchu goldfish or a 100 gallon tank for an oddball. I was wanting to get into breeding goldfish. I would need 2 40 gallon breeder tanks and a 100 tank for storing the adults. I will get into breeding another day though. So what tank would you recomend for me? The tank sizes above are just examples. Also if you could recomend any fish, that would be amazing.

If you are increasing tank numbers then make sure you get double or triple tier stands for the tanks. This will allow you to have more tanks in the same area, compared to 1 tank per stand.

You could get an aquarium about 6ft long x 18inches wide x 18inches high and have it on the top of a double tier stand. The goldfish could live in that. Then have two smaller tanks (3ft long x 18in wide x 18in high) underneath it to breed the goldies in.

Alternatively a 6x18x18 double tier stand holding 2 tanks (1 above and 1 below) with odd balls in the top tank and goldies in the bottom tank.

I really like both of those ideas Colin! My mom is very into fish too and she really doesnt want me to go into goldfish breeding ( My age on my profile got changed by my friend when i was making my profile, Im only 14 1/2.) I really want to do an oddball tank and a goldie tank but how tall would the double stand be. We have about 7.5 feet of space from the ground to the floor.

My double tier stands were about 1 meter high. The bottom shelf was about 4 inches off the ground and the tanks were 18inches high. The top tank sat on the top of the stand at 1meter and they were easy to get into and maintain. You want at least 8 inches above the bottom tank so you can get into it and work on it easily. 10-12inches is better if you can get it.

If your ceilings are 7ft+ high then you can go triple tier and have a couple of small tanks up top and 2 bigger tanks (one in middle and one on the bottom). But I didn't tell you that. I'm not getting in trouble for telling you to set up heaps of tanks :)

Oh trust me Colin, this is music to my ears! So could you tell me the brand of your double stand or was is handmade? Also if you could recomend me fish for an oddball tank that would be very nice of you:angel:

I made my tanks out of structural grade pine that was 70x50mm for the legs and 70x35mm for the lengths and cross members. You can also get them made. Some petshops can order them for you or find a cabinet maker or someone who is good at welding and make them out of steel. Stainless steel is best and won't rust, but costs more. Galvanised steel stands also last a long time and are a bit cheaper than Stainless, but the welds can rust if they aren't painted properly. Most metal stands are made from mild steel, which is cheap and durable but needs several coats of paint to stop it rusting.

If you make them out of wood you should also put several coats of varnish on the timber to stop it rotting. :)

What would the estimated cost of that be? Just the stand. Also any recomendation for oddball fish?

I can't give you prices on stands because the price will be different in every country. But making your own out of pine is usually the cheapest way to go. If you go to a hardware store you can check the prices on the timber there and work out roughly how much it will cost.

Overall tho stainless steel is the most expensive, then galvanised, then normal mild steel, then pine (wood) is the cheapest.

Oddball fish can be anything and will vary from country to country. In Australia we have Barramundi, Sooty Grunters, Lungfish, eels, Salamanderfish, Mangrove Jack and all sorts of nasty and also peaceful fishes.

In the UK you can get Sticklebacks, which I think are pretty cool because they build a nest out of twigs, leaves & algae. In North America you can get small native fishes and all sorts of other things.

The best thing to do is visit different petshops and websites and see if there is something that catches your eye. Write the name down and post it on here and we can offer you advice about the fish. There are lots of weird things in the ocean and you could set up a saltwater/ marine tank and keep octopus, cuttlefish, shrimp, crabs, corals, sea anemones, or just some unusual looking fish. :)

I wanted to get into breeding oddballs. Any recomendations of easier to breed oddballs though?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back