what size r platy fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sunniesunn

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi can anyone tell me about what size are platy fry when they are born I have 3 pregnant platies and 2 of them haved gotten smaller in the past few days , but I can't find any fry swimming around .........can someone please help????THANKS

I did that but still no luck is it safe to clean the tank and not hurt them if they are hiding?

Well if you are talking about cleaning the gravle if you have gravle. Do not do it it may cause them to do a really fast motion to where the little hearts can not take the movement. So they may have a better chance of living if you wait to clean the tank.

Hey sunnie you sound like me. The same thing happened to me. I only found 1 fry though(he was hiding under a rock) I guesss the others were eaten. :no:

I just had a gold mollie give birth. she was preg when I bought her. Put her in a breeding net. the fry are no bigger then a sharpened pencil.

well I have moved things around and still haven't seen anything I didn't realize they were so small but Im still looking for little eyes swimming around I hope some survived these would be my first set of fry..............

joanne61451 said:
I just had a gold mollie give birth. she was preg when I bought her. Put her in a breeding net. the fry are no bigger then a sharpened pencil.
how many did she have my baloon molly had 101 babies well she had 102 but one of the other fish ate it so 102 but 1 ate so 102

I was in the same position as yourself only 2 weeks ago. My 3 females were heavily pregnant and then one day I thought I saw a wee baby fishie - just the one - even tho the mums were still all huge. Anyway I took the mums to be back to my lfs as I did'nt have room for any more fry if they came - thank goodness I did, cos that 1 wee baby has now become at least 15, on my last count :rolleyes: They are a golden colour and difficult to see against my sand substrate until they get a bit bigger.

At least there's not more than 100 of them, like Paige - yikes!! :blink:

Sorry, it sounds like they most likely got eaten. If you want to breed livebearers I recommend setting up a cheap 2-5g tank and place the preggo females in there. The females have a burst of hormone that USUALLY stops them from eating for at leats a few hours after the fry are born. So if you keep a close eye on mum you can usually catch her before her hormones wear off. I did this with both my Mollies, Platies and Guppies and never had a problem. Its also less stressful then a breeding net and easier to just remove the mum and let the fry grow up in the tiny tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back