What Makes A Betta A Salamander

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

wilsonnw8

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Ive tried to research this and cant work out what classifies a betta as a salamander type betta? any help?

Salamander is a particular colouration.

It involves 3 colours, 1 that must be present is the white butterfly, this must be shown in all fins and the ventrals as well. The other 2 colours can be anything but they must not be a wash. The body will be one colour and then from the body and into the fins will be another. A good gene that will breed true if both parents are salamanders. Heres one for example.

Its not a perfect one as the tail shouldnt have the blue in it, but you can see what I mean...I stole it off google for educational purposes :lol:

salamander.jpg

Oh I see! I would have just said purple/red butterfly if it was me! Wonder where salamander came from?

Oh I see! I would have just said purple/red butterfly if it was me! Wonder where salamander came from?
Believe it or not they are actually mutes of the Mustard Gas, they were the rejects for the original MG created by outcrossing genetics but they needed to be called something due to being new. There are a lots of salamanders around like the picture I gave you above but these are not from the original MG history. The 100% TRUE SALAMANDER will not have any red in it at all but will show more of a mustard gas. The salamander name was used by breeders to label the red version when infact they got it wrong from the start as they are called tri or bi coloured bettas only. These are the ones you will see more often now. But a mustard gas with white is not called a salamander as the patterns tend to be wrong and no definately butterfly is present as they only tend to be a wash of the 3 colours.
So even though I answered the question with a picture and description I too am wrong in a way.

Wow complicated! good learning though! thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed answer :blush:

Wow I am disappointed in humanity if you seriously think Betta fish are salamanders than you need help. They have completely different genes and eat and breath completely different life sources. I will give you the fact that some betta look similar to a young salamander that still has they're gills. But saying that because they're colors are the same is like saying a dragonfly is a parrot because they are both red and green. This is a stupid question with even more stupid answers. Anyone reading this please know that salamanders are amphibious creatures not even remotely related to beta fish.

Some breeder somewhere decided to call this variety of betta by the name salamander. Goodness knows why, but that's what they are called. No-one thinks they are remotely related to the amphibian of the same name in the same way that no-one thinks butterfly bettas are related to winged insects.

It's just a name someone thought up.

Wow I am disappointed in humanity if you seriously think Betta fish are salamanders than you need help. They have completely different genes and eat and breath completely different life sources. I will give you the fact that some betta look similar to a young salamander that still has they're gills. But saying that because they're colors are the same is like saying a dragonfly is a parrot because they are both red and green. This is a stupid question with even more stupid answers. Anyone reading this please know that salamanders are amphibious creatures not even remotely related to beta fish.
When in doubt, try actually reading the thread. :)

Do bettas eat salamanders?

Or is it the other way around?

Asking for a friend....

For whatever reason, 'salamander' was picked as a marketing name for this strain of Betta splendens. Trade names arwe what they are. It always helps to read the entire thread before joining in a discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back