What kind of schooling fish should i add to my 20g?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i think i have a male since it has really long fins good news is i have a 10 gallon tank aswell ill move him to the 10 gallon asap

i agree was looking at neon tetras as a choice but before i make the purchase wanted some recommendations so i have no regrets

Neon Tetras are nice, but I find that Cardinal Tetras shoal better. I would also increase the number of Rio Flame tetras before you add anything else. The more you have, the better they'll look. Also, I agree that the Betta may be a problem, however it might not. Some Bettas are more docile than others. They are a very characterful fish, and then can change from case to case. I know someone who kept a Betta in a tank with general community fish, I think he had Neon Tetras, Rummynose Tetras and Corydoras. Plus shrimp. He had no problems, but when it died (of old age) he replaced it with another one which beat up half his Neons, killed a Cory and ate all his shrimp. So you can't tell until you do it.

but more often with their environment.
I agree especially with Bettas.

Bettas prefer low light heavily planted tanks with lots of floating plants I have Bettas that actually eat the roots on floating plants, Throw in some shrimp, It will give the fish something to hunt.

I sometimes spend hours just watching the girls swimming around looking for cherry shrimp among the plants.

I agree especially with Bettas.

Bettas prefer low light heavily planted tanks with lots of floating plants I have Bettas that actually eat the roots on floating plants, Throw in some shrimp, It will give the fish something to hunt.

I sometimes spend hours just watching the girls swimming around looking for cherry shrimp among the plants.

I have to disagree with that. I would not get a betta. They are not a good community fish, if you did get the betta that would be your only fish in the tank. You want a schooling tank of fish, cardinal tetras are nice but I do like neons better. There are rummynosed tetras, which are another favourite of mine, Harlequin Rasbora, Rasbora heteromorpha are a lovely schooling fish.

A bigger types of tetras!
Black skirt tetra/black widow tetra, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi! Black skirts are one of the easiest tetra species and can be found in almost any aquarium store. They don’t demand specific water values, although they will appreciate it when the lighting is slightly subdued by floating plants and a dark substrate. An aquarium of at least around 20 gallons/80L is a good idea, as black skirt tetras are active and need plenty of swimming space. Live plants are appreciated, but keep them limited to the edges of the tank!

Glowlight tetra, Hemigrammus erythrozonus. Like the other tetras, glowlight tetras prefer slightly acidic, heavily planted waters and a blackwater setup is actually the most natural choice for them. Their super peaceful nature makes them one of the best community fish and they will do well combined with most species that require similar water values. Other tetras are a good option and the ones discussed in this article can actually all be combined if your aquarium is large enough. Just be sure not to house your glowlights with any fish big enough to eat them! A setup of at least around 18 gal/70L should be enough to house a proper group of glowlight tetras.

These aren't all schooling fish, these are just some of my favourites :) Hope this helps
~Karen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we need some clarification from RedJ.
The title of this thread asks about schooling fish. Schooling refers to the way certain species of shoaling fish swim almost in tight formation. But to a lot of people, schooling means the same as shoaling, that is fish that live in large groups in the wild.
There are not many fish that school in our tanks, it is usually just a defence mechanism when they are scared. The fish in our tanks should have no reason to be scared if they are kept properly so the majority of shoaling fish will not school in our tanks.

RedJ, which do you mean, just fish that like to live in large numbers (shoaling) or fish that like to swim round together as a tight group (schooling)?

oH6mJvJ.jpg
sorry i didnt respond sooner was busy but yes i was originally talking about schooling fish but im fine with any suggestion that best suits my tank
xAfFd
xAfFd

my tank seems very emptyD: the white stuff is crushed coral

This is different. Bettas are an unfriendly fish and don't make a good community tank, they have to be in a tank on their own. I'd recommend bringing it back to the fish shop so you can get more fish like cardinal tetras, neon tetra e.c.t. As soon as the betta is out I can give you ideas about friendly schooling fish.
~Karen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Karen's comment on the betta. It is better to keep them on their own.

Also, can I ask what plants you have? There are two which to me look a bit like windelov java fern (the one to the right of the cable) and anubias (either side of the buddha). If that is what they are, they should not be planted in the substrate as the rhizome will rot. They should be grown attached to decor.

Knowing how this will be someone will tell me im wrong but hey dude,um you don't need a heater.As someone who has been in this hobby for three years now I have never bought a heater as it stays around 74-78 there and only drops to 70-72 during winter.So I would say no need for heater if your place stays warm.Even with bettas which I have.Wait guys lol.What if the reason no one wants bettas and stores keep them in cups is because not many people want them cause they can't go with anything else so people have no intrest so the stores have no intrest in taking up a lot of room for them.

I wouldn't say that. Lots of people want bettas - I have a 180 litre tank for my community and a 26 litre tank for my betta.
The reason that shops keep them in small cups is because they can, and a betta will survive in those cups. I say survive but not thrive. A shop can fit a lot of betta cups into a space that would be taken up by one tank, which could only hold one betta.

Not all of us have the luxury of not being able to use a heater. Some of us live in parts of the world where it gets cold in winter. We do not heat all parts of our house to tropical temperatures in winter, and certainly not during the night, that would be a waste of fuel. My fish need heaters during the winter.

i think i have a male since it has really long fins good news is i have a 10 gallon tank aswell ill move him to the 10 gallon asap
I was happy to hear this but it looks as though you didn't move him (from the pic posted above).

Also, can I ask what plants you have? There are two which to me look a bit like windelov java fern (the one to the right of the cable) and anubias (either side of the buddha). If that is what they are, they should not be planted in the substrate as the rhizome will rot. They should be grown attached to decor.
Good catch essjay! I believe you're right. RedJ, make sure to correct this, don't want to lose those beautiful plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back