what kind of meat can you feed bettas

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Angel Lady

Pet of the Month Leader
Reaction score
:wub: I gave my betta some cooked chicken and he loved it you all should have seen him the female betta loved it to .DO any of you guys think it might hurt him by anychance.That is the best fish I have ever seen it didnt hurt him he sure was crazy about it I read on line somewhere that bettas most of them starve to death without eating meat. I

Love your revolving logo.

My bettas love chicken. Just make sure it doesn't have any sauce, herbs-spices and grease on it or you'll pollute the tank. And I wouldn't feed them chicken very often because they start to NOT eat their regular food (which usually has needed vitamins and minerals added). Also, most of the chicken being sold these days are fed hormones and antibiotics which you probably don't want your small betta body to get too much of. An occasional treat of cooked chicken is fine.

Other "meats" are beef heart (you can often buy it in frozen form at a good tropical fish store), worms, flies, brine shrimp, daphnia, mosquito larvae, bloodworms.

LiquidLife said:
Love your revolving logo.

My bettas love chicken. Just make sure it doesn't have any sauce, herbs-spices and grease on it or you'll pollute the tank. And I wouldn't feed them chicken very often because they start to NOT eat their regular food (which usually has needed vitamins and minerals added). Also, most of the chicken being sold these days are fed hormones and antibiotics which you probably don't want your small betta body to get too much of. An occasional treat of cooked chicken is fine.

Other "meats" are beef heart (you can often buy it in frozen form at a good tropical fish store), worms, flies, brine shrimp, daphnia, mosquito larvae, bloodworms.
is that teru about bettas do they really starve for meat? I dont give it to him but mabey once a week and very little then but he sure is crazy about it. He will eat most any I give him flakes and all. Thanks I sorta that it was cool that

If you are feeding your betta food specifically made for them (dry food), it should already contain meat and you needed worry. Only if you are NOT feeding your betta betta-specific food (like, if you're using general "tropical fish" food or goldfish food, etc.), then you should switch to a betta food. Hikari makes a good betta food. Otherwise, there are frozen fish foods you can buy (but read the packaging, some of the stuff is specifically made for vegetarian fish and/or for saltwater fish (marine)). Augmenting his diet with human-meats is just to add variety to their diet and not necessary--and certainly don't do it often since many of the animals we slaughter for our own use have been given hormones and antibiotics you don't want your small fish body to get too much of too often.

I have decided not to give my betta chicken anymore I have got him some blood worms and some betta gold for color is what it said he is spoiled rotten

That's good and he'll live long and prosper. Just don't overdo the bloodworms (BWs--they live in "heavy metal" waters and can also carry both the heavy metals and bacteria still even though they are dead. Your betta can develop an allergy to BWs so don't feed them as daily fare). Just so you'll know, one of the bettas at my work is now over 2 years old and has continued to live and thrive eating only betta gold.

my betta has tail rot he got his fins ate almost all the up because of 2 mean black mollies I have him in maracyn 2 it has been 2 days and no response do you have any ideals on what I can use to make them better

fish keeper sharks and mollies said:
my betta has tail rot he got his fins ate almost all the up because of 2 mean black mollies I have him in maracyn 2 it has been 2 days and no response do you have any ideals on what I can use to make them better
:no: I thought the bettas were supposed to be mean to the other fish! There is a kind of fish medication for tail rot. I saw it at petsmart or petco.

bettas are among the most peaceful fish out there, when not kept with other bettas or fish that have long flowing fins and resemble bettas (to the betta at least).

Most reactions

Back