What kind of algae is this?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

aquarius

Fishaholic
Reaction score
About a week ago, I noticed this green algae covering my plants and gravel. Since then I cleaned it off but it keeps growing back. It's too bad I can't post a picture but this algae looks like tiny little green hairs almost like fur covering mostly the plants. Anyone have an idea of what it can be and how I can get rid of it? Thanks

your lighting and phosphate levels are probably too high.

how many hours are the lights on for? where is the tank positioned?

G

The light is usually on for 12 hours, although sometimes more and the tank is not near a window so it doesn't get hit with direct sunlight

Phophates are common ingredients in pH modifying compounds, are you using such a thing?

You could post a pic on "Members Aquarium Pictures"
Jim

thanks, i'll try cutting the light back but i'm not sure about the phosphate remover. is is gonna hurt the fish? and i'm not using any pH modifying compounds. i'm just adding fertilizer for the plants. can it make the algae worse?

if the nutrient levels are too high, yes alage will grow!

and no a phosphate remover will not harm your fish!

>>> can it make the algae worse?

Absolutely. You need to get things under control before you start adding fertilizers, (which are rarely necessary). After light, the next most important item is CO2, micronutrients and the like are generally abundant in a stocked tank.

I'd certainly stop adding the fetilizer.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back