What is VOIP and how do you use it?

In the UK there are currently two landline systems (well three if you count Virgin which uses fibre). All other landline providers use BT lines.
The original lines are copper; phones use them and broadband used copper until BT installed fibre almost everywhere. The copper system is getting old and BT does not want to maintain both the ancient copper and the newer fibre cables. So they are making everyone use fibre only, and voip, region by region.
Yes - analogue lines will be phased out by 2025. Yesterday they arrived unannounced to install my full fibre line. Previously I was on "last mile copper", but now its fibre all the way in to the house.

I like progress - usually. Our phone and net provider, TeleNor, replaced our house router in December. It connects to the co-ax jack, they provided the necessary sharing units and paraphernalia.. After that, our various phones and attached gear in various rooms do not work at all, and the internet service which had been functional all day every day, now requires power cycling routers two - three times daily. I think this step forward is stumbling a bit right now.

I like progress - usually. Our phone and net provider, TeleNor, replaced our house router in December. It connects to the co-ax jack, they provided the necessary sharing units and paraphernalia.. After that, our various phones and attached gear in various rooms do not work at all, and the internet service which had been functional all day every day, now requires power cycling routers two - three times daily. I think this step forward is stumbling a bit right now.
that would have to do with your internet provider and the hardware they use...for voip you didn't need to change the router at all
and if your internet requires multiple reboots daily..there's definitely a problem with it...
as for your phones not working throughout the entire house...
many times technicians only install a line to a nearby phone instead of making a direct wire from the router into the house copper
reason for that is that many times those technicians are 3rd party and don't actually work for your provider and they get paid by the service call
service to a technician means...router working? yes? move on...got a dialtone from a phone connected to the router?...yes? ----> service call finished
these calls are usually on the cheaper end of things like 60 bucks a service call....the more calls they do...more money they make
in a day the target being around 4 minimum and 6 a decent day
so if a tech comes to your house and you have phone jacks throughout the house and would like to use them...make sure you go to the next room and check if the phone works before he leaves
if he tells you it can't be done...call your provider immediately so they can cancel his service call for uncompleted work and have another technician come and do it
if the internet doesn't work and has multiple disconnects in a single day...call tech support...
if your provider charges for support calls or service calls to fix their problems -----> get another provider

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back