What is this??

Cheart99

Reaction score
Ok I just opened my filter, this is one of those that sits outside the tank, and ontop of the water next to the bio fiber i noticed what lookes like very light white film. It is not moving with the water more like it is floarting on the top. Which i thought was funny because it is just a few cenemiters away from where the water falls backinto the tank. Yet it does not move with the water. Could this be Good bacteria? I have no idea what it is and i can not take a picture, as it does not appear in it well. Any ideas? Is it not suposed to be there?

that's just a thin film of oils, etc. on the top of your water. i've noticed that it tends to crop up in small tanks. decrease the interval between water changes and see if that helps.

So even though it is only around my bio fiber is it going to be ok for the fish in my tank? It is not going to hurt them. Also even though i have been doing water changes my water is starting to smell a bit. Is this becuae of the oil, that i had to re-cyle my tank when my nirtrite got out of hand or is that a sign that i need a new filter pad? I cant remember when i put in the last one but it is probablyu getting close to one month.
However becuase im trying to re-cycle my tank should i not replace the old filter until it is done? Just change more water (oringianlly only changing about 20%).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast

Members online

Back