What is this in my tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

shmoe

Reaction score
:crazy: I'm sure this has been answered many times before, but I just can't seem to find out what this is. I've had tropical fish for years, but never have come across this problem before. There is cobweb looking strains all over the tanks walls, rocks, and freshwater plants. However, the new sprouts from the plants do not have the cobwebs/slime on them...so I don't think it's parasitic. The aquarium is empty of fish right now because I don't want to take any chances. I did a full change of water and used a gravel vaccuum to try and get as much of the slime out, but unfortunately it's still in the tank and on the plants. The chemical (ammonia, nitrate, etc...) levels are normal. The temperature is just below 80 F. Is this stuff dangerous?

This is the first time I've had live plants in the tank and I first noticed a bit of slime on one of the new plants (don't know what the plant is called). Since then I've gotten rid of the plant, but kept the other ones. I've done a full water change, put a new carbon filter in and have been running the tank for a couple days now hoping this stuff will go away.

moving to planted as you'll get more response :)

I don't think anyone knows what that cobwebby stuff is but it's not dangerous. Don't worry about it. If you want to tear down the tank and start it over.

Slime algae. Happens in all tanks. Here's a link for ya effective algae control. That should get you started on getting rid of your algae. Need more help just holler. Rose

Most reactions

Back